1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity Problem

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be a function which is continous on a closed interval [tex][a,b][/tex] with [tex]f(c) > 0[/tex] for some [tex]c\in[a,b][/tex]. Show that there is a closed interval [tex][r,s][/tex] with [tex]c\in[r,s]\subseteq[a,b][/tex] such that f(x) > 0 for all [tex]x\in[r,s][/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Hint let epsilon = f(c)/2 and find [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that |f(x) - f(c)| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] when |x - c| < [tex]\delta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If there is a f(c) with c within [a,b], that is greater than zero, then by continuity there must be an interval for which the function is greater than 0, [r,s], that seems fairly obvious.
    By completeness [r,s] must have a least upper bound, and a least lower bound this would be x when f(x) = 0 (not sure if that helps or not).

I am not really sure what the hint is telling me at this stage, or why one would pick f(c)/2. I am guessing one could show that there is a range for which f(x) > f(c)/2 or some other constant. It seems as though one could repeat this process and get closer and closer to the edge of the interval.

I am not sure if i am on the right track, but I'd appreciate a bit of input on putting things together, assuming I am even on the right track.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The hint is confusing in that f(c)/2 works but is in no other way special.
    you want f(x)>0 when |x-c|<delta
    to make use of continuity all you need is 0<epsilon<f(c)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?