Proving Continuity of f(x) = \sqrt{x} for x>0

• Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, there is a proof that shows the function f(x) = \sqrt{x} is continuous on x>0 by choosing a suitable delta value and using a factoring technique. Some suggestions are given to improve the clarity of the proof. Additionally, it is mentioned that f(x) = \sqrt{x} is uniformly continuous on [0, infinity), and this can be proven using basic analysis.
jgens
Gold Member
I've been reviewing my calculus textbook and came across this problem: Prove that the function [itex]f[/itex] defined by [itex]f(x) = \sqrt{x}[/itex] is continuous if [itex]x>0[/itex]. Would anyone mind verifying (or correcting) my proof? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Proof: Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] and choose [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]\delta = \mathrm{min}(x_0, \epsilon\sqrt{x_0})[/itex]. Clearly if [itex]0 < |x - x_0| < \delta[/itex] then we have that [itex]0 < x < 2x_0[/itex] which proves that [itex]x > 0[/itex]. Since [itex]x > 0[/itex] we can apply a handy factoring technique and show that [itex]|x - x_0| = |\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x_0}|(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x_0}) < \delta[/itex]. Using the fact that [itex]\sqrt{x} \geq 0[/itex] we know that [itex]\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x_0} \geq \sqrt{x_0}[/itex] and consequently [itex]|\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x_0}|\sqrt{x_0} < \epsilon\sqrt{x_0}[/itex] completing the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org

You seem to have chosen delta correctly and everything, but I think you could make it more clear by working with |f(x) - L| and end up with a chain of inequalities that shows that |f(x) - L| is less than epsilon. This makes it easier to follow the logic that you have set up.

*EDIT* Of course, in this case I meant L = f(x_0).

Just to make sure I'm understanding your advice, I should show the chain of inequalities like this:

[tex]\epsilon\sqrt{x_0} > |\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x_0}|(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x_0}) \geq \sqrt{x_0}|\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x_0}|[/tex]

Thanks for the suggestion!

I was thinking of something more along the lines of starting with

[tex]|\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x_0}| = \frac{|x - x_0|}{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x_0}}.[/tex]

The very first expression is |f(x) - f(x_0)|. Now if you start at your line in the original proof "Using the fact that..." and take reciprocals of the fact you demonstrated, then the right hand side of the line above is less than

[tex]\varepsilon\sqrt{x_0}\cdot\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_0}},[/tex]

which follows from the inequality you demonstrated and your choice of delta.

Last edited:

Ah! I understand now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just a quick note. You don't have to prove that x>0 because you are only dealing with those x that are in that interval in the first place. Also, sqrt(x) is uniformly continuous on x>0, which means that the delta doesn't depend on the x0 chosen. This might be good practice to do as well.

n!kofeyn said:
Just a quick note. You don't have to prove that x>0 because you are only dealing with those x that are in that interval in the first place. Also, sqrt(x) is uniformly continuous on x>0, which means that the delta doesn't depend on the x0 chosen. This might be good practice to do as well.
It is not, because [itex]sqrt^\prime(x) \to +\infty[/itex] as [itex]x \to 0[/itex]. It is, however, uniformly continuous on every interval [itex](\varepsilon ; +\infty), \varepsilon > 0[/itex].

[itex]f(x) = \sqrt{x}[/itex] is uniformly continuous on [0, infinity). It is uniformly continuous on [0, N] for any N > 0 by continuity on compact metric space (or more easily, note that sqrt(x) is holder continuous for say, [0,1], and this is really all we need), and for any [itex]\delta > 0,[/itex] [itex]f'(x) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} \leq \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\delta}}[/itex] for x in [itex][\delta, \infty).[/itex]

Then uniform continuity on [0, infinity) comes from uniform continuity on say [0,1] and [1, infinity). You can prove this using some basic analysis. It's even easier if you overlap the intervals say by working with [0,3] and [1, infinity).

Argh, yeah, you're right, of course. I must have been thinking about Lipschitz continuity rather than uniform continuity.

What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is the property of a function where small changes in the input variable result in small changes in the output variable.

How do you prove continuity of a function?

To prove continuity of a function, you must show that the function is defined at the given point, the limit of the function at that point exists, and the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point.

How is continuity of a function different from differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related but different concepts. Continuity is the property of a function where small changes in the input variable result in small changes in the output variable, while differentiability is the property of a function where the derivative of the function exists at a given point.

What is the difference between continuity on an open interval and a closed interval?

Continuity on an open interval means that the function is continuous at every point within the interval, while continuity on a closed interval means that the function is continuous at every point within the interval as well as at the endpoints of the interval.

How do you prove continuity for a square root function?

To prove continuity for a square root function, you must first show that the function is defined for all values greater than 0. Then, you must take the limit of the function as x approaches a given point and show that it is equal to the value of the function at that point. Finally, you must also check the endpoints of the interval to ensure continuity on a closed interval.