1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity proof

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    So today I wanted to prove that [itex]x/(x-k)[/itex] is continuous for [itex]x\neq k[/itex]. I have to show that for all [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]\left|x/(x-k)-x_0/(x_0-k)\right|<\varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex] satisfying [itex]|x-x_0|<\delta[/itex]. This is how I did it (a bit long)

[tex]\begin{align*}\left|\frac{x}{x-k}-\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-k}\right| & =\left|\frac{x-x_{0}}{x_{0}-k}+\frac{x}{x-k}-\frac{x}{x_{0}-k}\right|\\
    & =\left|\frac{x-x_{0}}{x_{0}-k}+\frac{x\left((x_{0}-k)-(x-k)\right)}{(x-k)(x_{0}-k)}\right|\\
    & =\left|\frac{x-x_{0}}{x_{0}-k}+\frac{(x-x_{0}+x_{0})\left((x_{0}-k)-(x-k)\right)}{(x-k)(x_{0}-k)}\right|\\
    & \le\left|\frac{x-x_{0}}{x_{0}-k}\right|+\frac{|x-x_{0}|\left|x_{0}-x\right|}{\left|(x-k)(x_{0}-k)\right|}+\frac{|x_{0}|\left|x_{0}-x\right|}{\left|(x-k)(x_{0}-k)\right|}\\
    & =\frac{\delta}{|x_{0}-k|}+\frac{\left(\delta+|x_{0}|\right)\delta}{\left|(x-k)(x_{0}-k)\right|}\\
    & \le\frac{\delta}{|x_{0}-k|}+\frac{\left(\delta+|x_{0}|\right)\delta}{\left||x-x_{0}|-|x_{0}-k|\right||x_{0}-k|}\\
    & =\frac{\delta}{|x_{0}-k|}+\frac{\left(\delta+|x_{0}|\right)\delta}{\left|\delta-|x_{0}-k|\right||x_{0}-k|}<\varepsilon.\end{align*}
    [/tex]

Now at this point, what is the easiest way to argue that a [itex]\delta[/itex] exists? Can this problem be solved with less arithmetic? I guess the idea is that you want an upper limit which consists of [itex]\delta[/itex] and some constants, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Not sure if this approach is simpler but I would attack the problem in this fashion: First we prove that the functions f(x) = x and g(x) = (x - k)-1 are continuous for all real x with x != k. This is not only simple but also requires virtually no arithmetic - especially if you're familiar with limits. The only proof that is left then is to prove that the product of the functions must also be continuous for all x with x != k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook