Continuity Proof: f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)]

In summary, the conversation is about a function f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)] and the attempt to determine its continuity using squeeze theorem. However, the attempt is unsuccessful and more clarification on the problem is needed.
JPanthon

Homework Statement

f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)] for x≠0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am stuck.

I've tried squeeze theorem on [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)], but I can't compute the range.

So, I tried doing it individually, squeezing -1 ≤ cos(pi/x^2) ≤ 1, but that doesn't work.

Any hints please?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(θ)+sin(θ) = (√2)sin(θ + π/4)

What's the question exactly? You want to prove that that function is continuous?

The given function is obviously continuous for [itex]x\ne 0[/itex] because it is a composition of continuous functions. It obviously not continuous for x= 0 because it is not defined at x= 0.

Because I suspect the problem was not supposed to be that "obvious", please check again and tell us what the problem really is!

What is the concept of continuity?

The concept of continuity in mathematics refers to a function's ability to be drawn without any breaks or gaps. In other words, the graph of a continuous function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

How do you prove continuity of a function?

To prove continuity of a function, we must show that the function is defined at the point in question, the limit of the function as x approaches the point exists, and that this limit is equal to the value of the function at the point.

Can a function be continuous at a single point?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a single point if it meets the criteria for continuity - being defined at the point, having a limit at the point, and the limit being equal to the function's value at the point.

What is the continuity proof for f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)]?

To prove the continuity of this function, we must show that it is defined at all points, has a limit at all points, and that this limit is equal to the function's value at each point. This can be done by breaking the function into its individual components and proving continuity for each one separately.

What is the significance of the function f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)]?

This function is an example of a continuous function that is not differentiable at certain points. It is commonly used in mathematics to demonstrate the concept of continuity and to challenge students to prove its continuity at various points.