1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity question.

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    i have a continuous function f:R->R and we are given that lim f(x)=L as x approaches infinity and limf(x)=L as x approaches minus infinity, i need to prove that f gets a maximum or minimum in R.

obviously i need to use weirstrauss theorem, but how to implement it in here.
    i mean by defintion:
    Ae>0,EM_e,Ax>=M_e, |f(x)-L|<e
    Ae>0,Em_e,Ax<=m_e,|f(x)-L|<e

so if we look at the intervals:
    [M1,M2],[M1,M3]....
    [m2,m1],[m3,m1]....
    in each interval the function gets a maximum and minimum by the theorem i quoted above, at the capital M's as x ais bigger than M1 its interval of f is increased i.e for x>=M1 L-1<f(x)<L+1 for x >=M2 L-2<f(x)<L+2 so it means the maximum in the first interval isnt bigger than the maximum in the second interval (the problem is i cannot say the same about the minimum).
    now if f has a maximum then we finished if it doesnt then i should show it has a minimum, but if it doesnt have a maximum then each maximum in the intervals is bigger than the previous one, but we have that there isnt a maximum.
    here im stuck and i dont know how to procceed from here, any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't understand your method. Why would it treat maxima any different than minima?

Here's how I would do it. You can always take the sup of a function. Show the sup of this function is finite. If it's greater than L, find a way to show the function must actually attain this value, making it a max. You can go from here.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?