1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity question

1. May 17, 2009 #1

C.E

1. Let X be R be a finite set and define f : R [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R by f(x) = 1 if x [tex]\in[/tex] X and f(x) = 0 otherwise. At which points c in R is f continuous? Give proofs.

3. I don't know how to start this, do you think it is ok to assume that X represents an interval of R? If not how can you possibly deduce the points continuity?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

X is finite. Meaning it contains a finite number of points. So X is certainly not an interval.

Try some concrete examples with increasing degree of complexity. Say X={0}. What then? (i.e., where is f continuous?) Now what if X={-1,1}, etc. If you've solved the problem in these two particular cases, then surely you can guess the answer to the general case and back your intuition with a proof.

4. May 17, 2009 #3

C.E

Is this right?

The function is discontinous for all x in X and continuous elsewhere.
    To prove discontinuity at x in X let x_1, x_2, ... x_n be the points in X then if we assume X_2 is the member of X closest to x_1. Then taking episilon =0.5 and only considering delta less than 0.5|x_1 - x_2| we prove discontinuity.

To prove continuity elsewhere we use a similar argument letting X_1 be the closest member of X to the point x not in X then setting delta= 0.5|X_1-x| completes the proof.

Any comments?

5. May 17, 2009 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You seem to have set x=x_1 in the first paragraph but never said so explicitly, which is confusing. Also, when you say "Then taking epsilon =0.5 and only considering delta less than 0.5|x_1 - x_2| we prove discontinuity.", I suspect that you have the right idea, but your sentence expresses it poorly. How about instead: "Then, taking epsilon=0.5, notice that for delta=0.5|x_1 - x_2|, we have 0<|x_1-y|<delta implies |f(x_1)-f(y)|=|1-0|=1>epsilon, thus proving that f is discontinuous at x_1."

In the second paragraph, I suggest adding "then for any epsilon>0, take delta= 0.5|X_1-x|, thus completing the proof.", but it can't hurt to write things more explicitely either.

6. May 18, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think simpler is: since X is finite, there exist [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] such that the distance between any two points in X is greater than [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook