Continuity Relay: Prevent Elevator Accidents with Relays

In summary: Just curious about something, Warren asks if there is a way to create a safety circuit without sending voltage through the contacts. - After thinking about it, Warren realizes that the contacts must be arced in order to create a safety circuit. - Switches are usually used to create safety circuits in place of contacts, as they are cheaper and more reliable. - However, Warren wonders if there is a way to create a safety circuit without switches. - Warren thinks that small airplanes might be able to use water-cooled engines with computer-controlled ignition, but they would kill more pilots
denni89627
Just curious about something. I work on elevators and there are countless safety circuits to prevent accidents. One example is an elevator hatch door. There are contacts that have to "make" in order for the elevator to run, to prevent the elevator from taking off with the door open. These contacts usually are 120AC and are easily the cause of most shutdowns on any elevator. After so many times of opening and closing the door, carbon builds up on the contacts and the circuit eventually fails. Why is it necessary to send voltage through these contacts? Cant you have a relay make up the safety circuit based on continuity instead? I wondered if any such type of relay exists but then i thought they must. How else would your meter beep when you test continuity.
Without arcing the contacts would not build up carbon and be much more reliable. On the other hand i guess it is job security for guys like me.:biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe it's just because I'm not that great at electricity, but I don't quite understand the question. What do you mean by 'a relay based on continuity'? Relays create continuity in response to a signal. :confused:

Inorder to check for contunity with your meter, you're sending a small current through the circuit you're checking.

Your 120vac safety interlocks probably energize a large relay/contactor that runs the elevators motor (480vac perhaps).

Yes, job security. Switches are cheap.

This is a safety feature. The in circiut with the switchs is either a brake, that requires power to open or a line essential to the operation of the motor. IF the switch is open, the elevator cannot move either due to a brake or a disabled motor. Sure you can do the same thing with signal voltage but the safety people may not get warm fuzzy feelings about this solution when human lifes are at stake. Sensors fail in the worst possible way at the worst possible time.

I think that I see what you mean now. It's the same as the difference between 'fail safe' and 'fail secure' with an alarm system. 'Fail safe' allows exit in the case of a power failure, such as during a fire. 'Fail secure' locks everything down if the power goes out.

If you used a lower voltage to test the closing of the contacts, you'd have to use some kind of additional circuitry to switch on and off the brakes, or whatever safety devices it controls. Sure, you've made the switches fail less frequently, but you're now stuck with another couple of circuit elements which are more likely to fail -- and in a worse way -- than was the original switch.

Small aircraft are full of these kinds of unfortunate "low-tech-is-the-only-way" sorts of safety systems. It'd be really nice if small airplanes could use water-cooled engines with computer-controlled ignition, just like cars. They'd use much less gas, produce much less pollution, be quieter and run more smoothly. Unfortunately, they'd also kill more pilots -- so we stick with the low-tech, bullet-proof air-cooled naturally aspirated magneto engines, and just wear thicker, less-comfortable headsets.

- Warren

1. What is a continuity relay?

A continuity relay is an electrical device that is used to prevent elevator accidents by ensuring that there is always a complete electrical circuit between the elevator car and the shaft. This helps to prevent issues such as door malfunctions, elevator overspeed, and other safety hazards.

2. How does a continuity relay work?

A continuity relay works by constantly monitoring the electrical circuit between the elevator car and the shaft. If there is any interruption or break in the circuit, the relay will immediately cut off power to the elevator, preventing any potential accidents.

3. Why is a continuity relay important for elevator safety?

A continuity relay is important for elevator safety because it helps to prevent accidents that can occur due to electrical malfunctions. This can include situations such as doors opening while the elevator is in motion or the elevator car overspeeding, both of which can be dangerous for passengers.

4. How often should a continuity relay be inspected and replaced?

A continuity relay should be inspected and tested regularly, with suggested intervals of every 3-6 months. If any issues are found during inspection, the relay should be replaced immediately to ensure the safety of elevator passengers.

5. Are there any other safety features that work in conjunction with a continuity relay?

Yes, there are multiple safety features that work together with a continuity relay to ensure elevator safety. These include overspeed governors, door sensors, and emergency brake systems, all of which are designed to prevent accidents and protect passengers in the event of a malfunction.