Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity to the right.

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My probability professor proved the property of "continuity to the right" of the repartition fucntion F by showing that F(x+1/n)--->F(x). But as I remember it, continuity to the right means that for any sequence {a_n} of elements of (x,+infty) that converges to x, F(a_n) converges to F(x). Is there some subtlety I'm not aware of by which showing F(x+1/n)--->F(x) is sufficient to show it works for any sequence?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you are right.
    If your professor's proof is correct, then his proof cannot essentially rely on other properties of the 1/n-sequence than that it converges to zero; i.e, that is, it is only the DISTANCE a given point x+1/n has from x that is relevant in the actual proof.

It might be that it is easiest to use 1/n as an EXAMPLE of a sequence, but the proof shouldn't crucially rest upon that particular choice.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He agreed (by email) that it is insufficient to prove it for 1/n in the case of any function, but because the partition function F(x) is an increasing function, it is sufficient. Do you see why?

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, note that since F is INCREASING, it means that the function values for any points squeezed in between 1/n and 1/(n+1) must be squeezed in between the function values F(1/n) and F(1/(n+1)).
    Thus, any epsdilon/delta squeeze valid for the 1/n sequence must be valid for any other sequence converging to 0 as well, since its terms are necessarily squeezed in between the harmonic sequence terms.

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see it thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?