1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuos functions- Im stumped please help

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that f is ais continuos function defined on [0,1] with f(0)=1 and f(1)=0. show that there is a value of x that in [0,1] such that f(x)=x. Thank You.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is slightly simpler:
    Let's say I have a function [itex]g:[0,1] \rightarrow \Re[/itex], which is continuous, with [itex]g(0)=1[/itex] and [itex]g(1)=-1[/itex] can you show that there is an [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex] so that [itex]g(x)=0[/itex]?
  4. May 16, 2007 #3
    Im Still Not Following. Can You Explain It A Little Bit Better To Me. Thank You For Your Post By The Way.
  5. May 16, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a function that's continuous is negative at one point, and positive at another point, does it necesarily cross the x-axis (i.e. is zero somewhere in between)?

That's what he's driving at, but puts it in terms that are more obviously applicable to the problem at hand
  6. May 16, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Define the function G(x)=f(x)-x. Now four questions. i) is G continuous? ii) What are G(0) and G(1)? iii) What does it mean if G(x)=0 in terms of f? iv) Might this have something to do with the NateTG's and Office_Shredder's hints?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?