1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous absorption spectrum

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While dealing with continuous absorption spectrum, my book depicts like this
    " A pure green glass plate when placed in the path of white light, absorbs everything except green and gives continuous absorption spectrum"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont understand this, because i have studied when light from the carbon arc is made to pass through sodium vapour and then examined by a spectrometer, a continuous spectrum of carbon arc with two dark lines in the yellow region is obtained.
    So, since sodium vapour emit wavelength of 5896 Armstrong 5890 Armstrong, yellow lines of carbon arc spectrum are absorbed and those lines are absent in the absorption spectrum.
    If thats the case then the statement in my problem statement sounds wrong. A pure green glass plate should absorb green colour present in white light. But it is given, everything is absorbed except green.
    Am i interpreting wrong or the book is wrong? Please help members

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    What color would you see at the end of where the white light passes through the glass ?

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3
    No, i can't understand your query. I assume green colour alone should be absorbed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook