Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous and alternate power

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    I am doing some pattern recognition research. I have found that a signal power is an important variable in this field of study. However the continuous part of the spectrum (frequency = 0) isn't, and it must be discarded. As a software developer I have wrote computer methods to calculate the power of the alternate (f != 0) part of a signal. To test if my method is correctly implemented I must know if:

1. the energy of a discrete signal is equal to the sum of the squares of the samples?

2. the power of the continuous component of a signal is equal to the square of it's average intensity?

3. the energy of the alternate component of a signal is equal to the sum of the squares of the (samples - average intensity) ?

4. the total signal energy is equal to the sum of the energy of the continuous and alternate components?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted