1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Charge

1. Mar 4, 2004 #1
    A rod with a continuous charge extending from x=2.00m to x=3.00m has a charge density lambda=3x^2.

a.)What is the charge on the rod?
    b.)What is the Electric potential of the rod at the origin?
    c.)What is the Electric field at the origin.

This was a test question that I totally messed up....

How do I find the charge of the rod? Everything I did wrong stemmed off that first part of the question.

For part a I totally messed up, I'm sure it was extremely easy, but I ended up integrating from 2 to 3 dq/r^2 only to realize with no time left that I'm finding the E field of rod, not the charge...[b(] Thinking about it now, should I have treated it as a guassian surface and found the charge by q_in / epsilon knot ?

When finding the electric potential I used V = Kq/r because I figured since it was the origin it was defined as V=0 and R_a = infinity.

When finding the E field at the origin I again treated the origin as a point and used E = kq/r^2 but then after the test realized I probably should have used E=int Kdq/r^2 and integrated from 0 to 3..
    Should I of?

Any help is greatly appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2004 #2
    Be careful with units. You really need to mention what units the charge density is given in. I'll assume C/m.

a)[tex]Q = \int_a^b \lambda\,dx = \int_2^3 3x^2\,dx[/tex]

b)[tex]V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_a^b \frac{\lambda}{r}\,dx = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_2^3 \frac{3x^2}{x}\,dx[/tex]

you really should have stated the y-location of the rod. I took it to be 0.

c)[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_a^b \frac{\lambda}{r^2}\,dx = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_2^3 \frac{3x^2}{x^2}\,dx[/tex]
    obviously in the -x direction.

4. Mar 4, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By integrating the charge density (λ= 3x^2) over the interval x = (2,3).
    Guass's law won't help.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. V = kq/r is the standard form for the potential at distance "r" from the charge "q". (Yes, that defines the potential as zero at r = infinity.) So if you integrated kq/x over the interval x = (2,3), where q = λdx, you got it.
    You should have integrated kq/x^2, where q = λdx, but over the interval x = (2,3), not (0,3). There is no charge in the interval x = (0,2), so what would you be integrating?

Edit: Hey, cookiemonster beat me to it!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  5. Mar 4, 2004 #4
    I know I always just wanted to see the math after a test, so I kind of forewent the explanations. Guess now he's got both!

6. Mar 4, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

And I was too lazy to write the equations properly using Latex like you did. We make a good tag team.
  7. Mar 4, 2004 #6
    Hmmm, well it looks like I got it wrong, which isn't good on a three question test.

Yeah I understand what was done, but got confused when it said the origin was involved.

Thanks for all the help.:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?