1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous derivative

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f is differentiable on J, c is in J0 and f'(c) > 0. Show that if f' is continuous at c, then f is strictly increasing on some neighborhood of c

2. Relevant equations
    Strictly increasing: If x < y then f(x) < f(y)
    Continuous: For all epsilon > 0 there exists a delta > 0 such that x in D union B(a;delta) implies that |f(x) - f(a)| < epsilon

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have any attempts to write down here. I'm mainly looking for a push in the right direction. I've been staring at the definitions and just can't see the easiest way to link them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, and now take a= c and epsilon= f(c)/2 to show that f'(x)> 0 in (c-epsilon, c+epsilon).

4. May 8, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply. How does taking epsilon = f(c)/2 get me that f'(x) > 0?

I plugged it in and I end up getting that f'(c) - f(c)/2 < f(x) < f'(c) + f(c)/2

I understand, though, that finding f'(x) > 0 solves it. I'm just curious about this middle step. I assume I have to show that f'(c) = f(c)/2 ??

5. May 8, 2009 #4
    Did you mean to let epsilon = f'(c)/2?

Because that would solve it.

It would then be that f'(c) - f'(c)/2 < f'(x) => f(c)/2 < f'(x). Which means that f'(x) is strictly greater than 0. Thus f(x) is strictly increasing.

Is this right?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook