1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous function sequences

1. Sep 18, 2004 #1

(a) Let [tex] a_1 = a, a_2 = f(a), a_3 = f(a_2) = f(f(a)), \ldots, a_{n+1} = f(a_n),[/tex] where [tex] f [/tex] is a continuous function. If [tex] \lim _{n \to \infty} = L,[/tex] show that [tex] f(L) = L [/tex].

(b) Illustrate part (a) by taking [tex] f(x) = \cos x , a = 1,[/tex] and estimating the value of [tex] L [/tex] to five decimal places.

My answer:

(a) [tex] \lim _{n \to \infty} a_{n+1} = \lim _{n \to \infty} f(a_n) = f \left( \lim _{n \to \infty} a_n \right) = f(L) = L [/tex]

(b) I have used my calculator to get this one. First, I plugged in: [tex] \cos 1 [/tex]. I took the cosine of the result. Then, I kept on taking the cosine until my results agreed to five decimal places. I got [tex] L \approx 0.73908 [/tex].

My question:

Did I get it right? Are there other ways to find answer (b)?

Thanks a lot!!! :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

0.73908 looks right assuming a=1 rad.
  4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    I think it would be more convincing if you wrote L= first on the left hand side and then came to f(L) on the right hand side. You basically have f(L)=L in your argument which is what you want to prove. Right idea though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?