1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous function solutions

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that a continuous function such that for all c in the reals, the equation f(x) = c cannot have two solutions

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking along the lines of a contradiction or somehow using intermediate value theorem but it seems like it is so easy it is hard.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you actually trying to prove here? Your sentence doesn't parse properly

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    show that a continuous function cannot have two solutions for the equation f(x) = c for every c.

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have f(x) = c... am I solving for x given c? What you're trying to say is that f can't be two to one (i.e. for every point p in the image, there are two points in the preimage of p).

Contradiction is a good place to start. There have to be two points that f maps to zero, consider f on the interval between them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?