Function f Continuity at Irrational and 0: Sketch

In summary, the function defined as f(x) = x for irrational x and f(x) = p sin(1/q) for x = p/q in lowest terms is continuous at x = 0. However, it is nowhere-continuous and presents a problem due to the potential creation of locally continuous points in the original space. This is similar to the Dirichlet function.
iNCREDiBLE
Let f be that function defined by setting:

f(x) = x if x is irrational
= p sin(1/q) if x = p/q in lowest terms.

At what point is f continuous?

Continuous for irrational x, and for x = 0. Sketch:
p*sin(1/q) - p / q
= p(sin(1/q) -1/q)
But sin x - x = o(x^2) when x -> 0
So, for large q,
|p(sin(1/q) - 1/q)| < p (1/q)^2 = (p/q) / q

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, I am no master of number theory or modern algebra even. I have only observed said courses, and I have not researched my own opinion enough to give it as fact. That said, this is what I think.

Id watch my wording to prevent myself from saying continuous for irrational x, and say rather, continuous at every point x for x~irrational. the function itself is, i believe, nowhere-continuous. you might find some more searching about dirichlets function, its pretty similar.

oh, and your sketch is probably right. the function does go to 0 at x=0, and

I think the correct answer to this is that the function is continuous at x=0, since the limit of the two individual functions as x->0 from both sides is all the same value, 0. for all others, you might say that the point is continuous within the irrational space, but that in terms of the function, which lies in R, it is discontinuous.

id say it presents a problem since the sum of two irrational numbers has not been explicitly proven to be an irrational number, so there are numbers between every other number that have yet to be defined, and since many of those potentially rational numbers involves [itex]\pi[/itex] (like constant multiples of eulers constant) it might bring the possibility of creating a locally continuous point in the original space. anyhow, ill shut up since I am probably totally wrong.

Yes, your explanation and sketch are correct. The function f is continuous at irrational x and at x=0. At irrational x, the function is simply x which is continuous for all real numbers. At x=0, the function takes the form p*sin(1/q) which can be rewritten as x*sin(1/x), and as x approaches 0, sin(1/x) approaches 0 as well. So, the function is continuous at x=0 as well. Your calculation shows that the function approaches 0 as x approaches 0, which is consistent with the definition of continuity.

1. What is the definition of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity refers to a property of a function where there are no sudden or abrupt changes in its values as the input values change. In other words, a function is continuous if it can be drawn in one smooth line without any breaks or gaps.

2. How is the continuity of a function f at an irrational number determined?

The continuity of a function f at an irrational number can be determined by evaluating the limit of the function as the input approaches the irrational number from both the left and right sides. If the limit exists and is equal from both sides, the function is continuous at that point.

3. What is the significance of continuity at an irrational number?

Continuity at an irrational number is important because it ensures that there are no sudden or unexpected changes in the behavior of the function at that point. This allows us to accurately predict the behavior of the function and make precise calculations.

4. How is continuity at an irrational number related to the function's graph?

A function f is continuous at an irrational number if and only if its graph has no breaks or gaps at that point. This means that the graph can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper, indicating a smooth and continuous curve.

5. How is continuity at 0 different from continuity at an irrational number?

Continuity at 0 is similar to continuity at an irrational number in that the function needs to have a limit from both sides equal to the same value. However, the difference lies in the fact that 0 is a rational number and can be approached from both the left and right sides using rational numbers, while an irrational number can only be approached using other irrational numbers.