1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Functions, Closed Sets

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mapping f from a metric space X to another metric space Y is continuous if and only if [itex]f^{-1}(V)[/itex] is closed (open) for every closed (open) V in Y.

Use this and the metric space (X,d), where X=C[0,1] (continuous functions on the interval [0,1]) with the metric [itex]d(f,g)=\sup _{x\in[0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|[/itex] to show that the set
    [tex]A=\left\{f\in C[0,1]:\int_0^1 tf^2(t)dt\ge 3\right\}[/tex]

is closed.

2. Relevant equations
    None other than the theorem given.

3. The attempt at a solution

My first step is to define a function from C[0,1] to R by choosing the easiest function, [itex]F(f)=\int_0^1 tf^2(t)dt[/itex]. If I can show that this is continuous, then it follows that [itex]\left\{f\in C[0,1]:\int_0^1 t f^2(t)dt\ge 3\right\}[/itex] is closed since [itex][3,\infty)[/itex] is closed. That is, A is closed.

So, starting from the definition of a continuous function, I have:
    [tex]|F(f)-F(g)|=\left|\int_0^1 t\left(f^2(t)-g^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1\left|t\left(f^2(t)-g^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1 |f^2(t)-g^2(t)|dt=\int_0^1 |f(t)-g(t)||f(t)+g(t)|dt[/tex]
    [tex]\le \int_0^1 d(f,g)|f(t)+g(t)|dt=d(f,g)\int_0^1 |f(t)+g(t)|dt<\epsilon[/tex].

My trouble is, I can't get rid of the last part of the integral that has |f+g| without restricting the domain of F. Any suggestions? Also, is my reasoning here fine? Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This may be easier to see using sequences. A useful thing to keep in mind is that convergence w.r.t. d is uniform convergence. Now, if f_n -> f uniformly, can we say that |f_n| -> |f| uniformly, too? How can this help us here? (Note: We also have that f_n+f -> 2f uniformly, since d(f_n+f,2f)=d(f_n,f)->0.)
  4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    Okay. Sorry if I seem slow here, but I'm trying to restate what you're saying so that I understand it.

Reinterpreting what I've written with a sequence instead of g, I have

|F(f)-F(f_n)|=\left|\int_0^1 t\left(f^2(t)-f_n^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1\left|t\left(f^2(t)-f_n^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1 |f^2(t)-f_n^2(t)|dt=\int_0^1 |f(t)-f_n(t)||f(t)+f_n(t)|dt
    \le \int_0^1 d(f,f_n)|f(t)+f_n(t)|dt=d(f,f_n)\int_0^1 |f(t)+f_n(t)|dt<\epsilon

Now, [itex]\int_0^1 |f(t)+f_n(t)| dt[/itex] goes to a finite number, so I can pick [itex]\delta=\frac{\epsilon}{\int_0^1 |2(f)| dt}[/itex]. Thus F is uniformly continuous (and hence continuous), and so I can apply the theorem. So A is closed.

This doesn't totally make sense to me, so if what I've done doesn't make sense then that's why.

Thanks again!
  5. Apr 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the sequence of real numbers [itex]\{\int_0^1 |f(t)+f_n(t)| dt\}_n[/itex] converges, it's bounded by some M>0.

Hence, given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], we can find an N such that if n>N then [itex]d(f,f_n) < \epsilon/M[/itex], and consequently, [itex]|F(f) - F(f_n)| \leq d(f,f_n) \cdot M < \epsilon[/itex]. In other words, F(f) -> F(f_n).
  6. Apr 9, 2008 #5
    Okay, that makes more sense now. I see where you're pulling things from. Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?