Solving Continuous Functions: Find g(3) When f(3)=5 and lim x→3 [2f(x)-g(x)]=4

In summary, a continuous function is a type of mathematical function with no sudden changes in values, and the general method for solving them involves using the limit definition of continuity. To find the value of g(3) in a problem with f(3) and the limit of [2f(x)-g(x)] as x approaches 3, an equation with two unknowns can be set up and solved. The limit represents the value that g(x) approaches as x approaches 3, and in order for g(3) to have a unique solution, f(3) must be equal to the limit. Otherwise, there will be multiple possible values for g(3).
Quantum_Grid

Homework Statement

If [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] are continuous functions, with [tex]f(3) = 5[/tex] and [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow3}\left[2f(x) - g(x)\right] = 4[/tex] find [tex]g(3)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped! I cannot find anything in my notes on where to begin. I am not looking for a specific answer, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Where do I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
try taking the limit, you know the limt of f

And you know, by the continuity of g, that
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} g(x) = g(3)[/tex]

What is the definition of a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has no sudden or abrupt changes in its values. This means that the graph of the function has no breaks, holes, or gaps.

What is the general method for solving continuous functions?

The general method for solving continuous functions involves finding the value of the function at a given point, and then using the limit definition of continuity to find the value of the function at that point.

How do you find the value of g(3) when given f(3) and the limit of [2f(x)-g(x)] as x approaches 3?

To find the value of g(3), you can use the limit definition of continuity to set up an equation with two unknowns (g(3) and the limit) and then solve for g(3).

What is the relationship between the limit and the value of g(3) in this problem?

The limit represents the value that g(x) approaches as x approaches 3. Therefore, the value of g(3) must be equal to the limit in order for the function to be continuous at x=3.

Are there any restrictions on the values of f(3) and the limit in order for g(3) to have a unique solution?

Yes, in order for g(3) to have a unique solution, f(3) must be equal to the limit. If f(3) is not equal to the limit, then there will be multiple possible values for g(3).