1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous functions

1. May 17, 2009 #1

C.E

1. Suppose that f and g are continuous functions defined on R and every interval
    (a, b) contains some point y with f(y) = g(y). Show that f(x) = g(x) for every x in R.

3. I can show that between any two points in are there is some x such that f(x)=g(x). Is that enough? I don't think it is but have no idea what else I can do. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let x be any point in R and consider the sequence of nested intervals I_n:= ]x-1/n,x+1/n[ "converging" to {x}. Try to use the hypothesis that every interval (a, b) contains some point y with f(y) = g(y) to find a sequence {x_n} with x_n in I_n such that f(x_n)=g(x_n) and x_n-->x. How does this imply the desired conclusion?

4. May 17, 2009 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The thing you show is not enough - it is just a restatement of the hypothesis. You've not used the fact that f and g are continuous - that should concern you.

You want to show that for any x f(x)=g(x).

So, take an x. What do we have? Results about intervals. What might your first step be here?

5. May 17, 2009 #4

C.E

How is this? Is this now a full proof?

Select any x then by IVT for any natural n [tex]\exists[tex]c_n in (x,x+1/n) such that
    g(c_n)=f(c_n). we construct a sequence of such c_n values. Clearly the limit of c_n as n goes to infinity is x also the limit of f(c_n)= the limit of g(c_n). Hence by continuity g(x)=f(x).

6. May 17, 2009 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is good. Except, that sure it is clear that c_n-->x, but can you give a rigorous argument?

And also, why do you say "By IVT"?!?

7. May 17, 2009 #6

C.E

To show c_n --> x could we just set epsilon=1/n? I don't know why I said by IVT.

8. May 17, 2009 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't really make sense... to show that c_n-->x, you need to find, to every epsilon>0, an N>0 such that n>N ==> |c_n-x|<epsilon.

Yes, it suffices to find N for epsilon=1/m for all m>0 (by the archimedean property of R) but what is N for epsilon=1/m?

To prove that c_n-->x rigorously, you can either answer that question or use an argument involving the squeeze lemma (aka sandwich lemma)

9. May 17, 2009 #8

C.E

How is this?

For a given episilon take N= 1 + the integer part of 1/epsilon.

10. May 17, 2009 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook