Proof of f(x) = g(x) for all x in R

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that f(x) = g(x) for every x in R, given that f and g are continuous functions and every interval (a, b) contains a point y with f(y) = g(y). The solution involves constructing a sequence of values c_n in nested intervals that converge to x, and using the continuity of f and g to show that the limit of c_n is equal to x. The conversation also discusses using the Intermediate Value Theorem and the squeeze lemma to prove the convergence of c_n to x.
C.E
1. Suppose that f and g are continuous functions defined on R and every interval
(a, b) contains some point y with f(y) = g(y). Show that f(x) = g(x) for every x in R.

3. I can show that between any two points in are there is some x such that f(x)=g(x). Is that enough? I don't think it is but have no idea what else I can do. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x be any point in R and consider the sequence of nested intervals I_n:= ]x-1/n,x+1/n[ "converging" to {x}. Try to use the hypothesis that every interval (a, b) contains some point y with f(y) = g(y) to find a sequence {x_n} with x_n in I_n such that f(x_n)=g(x_n) and x_n-->x. How does this imply the desired conclusion?

The thing you show is not enough - it is just a restatement of the hypothesis. You've not used the fact that f and g are continuous - that should concern you.

You want to show that for any x f(x)=g(x).

So, take an x. What do we have? Results about intervals. What might your first step be here?

How is this? Is this now a full proof?

Select any x then by IVT for any natural n [tex]\exists[tex]c_n in (x,x+1/n) such that
g(c_n)=f(c_n). we construct a sequence of such c_n values. Clearly the limit of c_n as n goes to infinity is x also the limit of f(c_n)= the limit of g(c_n). Hence by continuity g(x)=f(x).

Yes, this is good. Except, that sure it is clear that c_n-->x, but can you give a rigorous argument?And also, why do you say "By IVT"?!?

To show c_n --> x could we just set epsilon=1/n? I don't know why I said by IVT.

That doesn't really make sense... to show that c_n-->x, you need to find, to every epsilon>0, an N>0 such that n>N ==> |c_n-x|<epsilon.

Yes, it suffices to find N for epsilon=1/m for all m>0 (by the archimedean property of R) but what is N for epsilon=1/m?

To prove that c_n-->x rigorously, you can either answer that question or use an argument involving the squeeze lemma (aka sandwich lemma)

How is this?

For a given episilon take N= 1 + the integer part of 1/epsilon.

Yup.

What does it mean for f(x) and g(x) to be equal for all x in R?

When we say that f(x) and g(x) are equal for all x in R, it means that the output of both functions is the same for every possible input value in the set of real numbers. In other words, the two functions have identical graphs and produce the same results for any given input.

How can you prove that f(x) = g(x) for all x in R?

To prove that f(x) = g(x) for all x in R, we need to show that the two functions have the same domain, the same range, and the same output for every input value. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations, graphing the two functions, or using mathematical properties and theorems.

What is the difference between "for all x in R" and "for some x in R"?

The phrase "for all x in R" means that the statement or equation holds true for every possible input value in the set of real numbers. On the other hand, "for some x in R" means that there is at least one input value in the set of real numbers for which the statement or equation holds true.

Can f(x) and g(x) be equal for some x in R but not for all x in R?

Yes, f(x) and g(x) can be equal for some x in R but not for all x in R. This means that there are specific input values in the set of real numbers for which the two functions produce the same output, but there may be other input values for which the functions do not have the same output.

What are some common techniques used to prove f(x) = g(x) for all x in R?

Some common techniques used to prove f(x) = g(x) for all x in R include substitution, algebraic manipulations, graphing, using mathematical properties and theorems, and using proofs by contradiction or induction. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique based on the specific functions and the given problem.