1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous functions

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [tex]f: [0,1] \rightarrow R [/tex] is two-to-one. That is, for each [tex] y \in R, f^{-1}({y}) [/tex] is empty or contains exactly two points. Prove that no such function can be continuous.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of a continuous function:
    Suppose [tex]E \subset R[/tex] and f: E \rightarrow R[/tex]. If [tex]x_0 \in E[/tex] then f is continuous at [tex]x_0[/tex] iff for each [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there is [tex]\varphi >0[/tex] such that if
    [tex]|x - x_0| < \varphi, x \in E[/tex],​
    then
    [tex]|f(x) - f(x_0)| < \epsilon[/tex].​

If f is continuous at x for every [tex]x \in E[/tex], then we say f is continuous.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think from an algebraic view, there is more elements in the domain then codomain which means that the function f is not one-to-one, but onto. Though I know this fact, I am pretty sure this will not aid in my attempt to prove this problem. Could someone help me understand why f cannot be continuous.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Levesque

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2
    Try assuming that f is continuous and then using the extreme and intermediate value theorems to produce a y in R with more than two values in its pre-image.

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Prove, rather, that there exist y such that [math]f^{-1}(\left{y\right})[/math] contains exactly one value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook