Continuous Logistic Map (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
The corresponding continuous system would be.
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= rx(1- x)[/tex]
where x is a continuous function of t.

saltydog

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I wish to clarify something: The continuous counterpart of the logistic equation is not chaotic. It turns out that in order to find chaos in continuous systems, we need to consider at least a three-dimensional system. Such as the Rossler System:

[tex]x^{'}=-(y+z)[/tex]

[tex]y^{'}=x+ay[/tex]

[tex]z^{'}=b+xz-cz[/tex]

or the Lorenz system.

Hey Tom, have you ever studied these two systems? Have you drawn a Feigenbaum plot for either? I hope you have Peitgen's book, "Chaos and Fractals". That's a good reference.

The "translation" I got is;
dx/dt = 0
dy/dt = 1
(Do you think they are too simple?) Although the solution of above differential equations is a line in two dimensional Euclidean space, the solution in the following quotient space;
http://geocities.com/tontokohirorin/mathematics/moduloid/fig12.jpg
is thought to have chaotic behaviour.

saltydog

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Tom Piper said:
The "translation" I got is;
dx/dt = 0
dy/dt = 1
(Do you think they are too simple?) Although the solution of above differential equations is a line in two dimensional Euclidean space, the solution in the following quotient space;
http://geocities.com/tontokohirorin/mathematics/moduloid/fig12.jpg
is thought to have chaotic behaviour.
Yep, yep, that's not happening for me. When in doubt . . . Mathworld . . . Quotient Space . . . still didn't happen for me. You got me Tom. And that diagram your cited, what is that? Anyway, I'm not clear at all what a quotient space is and how it can model chaotic behavior. Might you provide a concrete example with pictures. Yea, pictures . . . that would be nice.:rolleyes:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving