Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Logistic Map

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    The logistic equation;
    x(n+1) = rx(n)(1-x(n))
    shows chaotic behavior under some values of r. It is a discrete chaotic system. Is it possible to translate it to continuous chaotic system? I tried it in the following site;
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The corresponding continuous system would be.
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= rx(1- x)[/tex]
    where x is a continuous function of t.
  4. Feb 13, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wish to clarify something: The continuous counterpart of the logistic equation is not chaotic. It turns out that in order to find chaos in continuous systems, we need to consider at least a three-dimensional system. Such as the Rossler System:

or the Lorenz system.

Hey Tom, have you ever studied these two systems? Have you drawn a Feigenbaum plot for either? I hope you have Peitgen's book, "Chaos and Fractals". That's a good reference.
  5. Feb 14, 2006 #4
    The "translation" I got is;
    dx/dt = 0
    dy/dt = 1
    (Do you think they are too simple?) Although the solution of above differential equations is a line in two dimensional Euclidean space, the solution in the following quotient space;
    is thought to have chaotic behaviour.
  6. Feb 14, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, yep, that's not happening for me. When in doubt . . . Mathworld . . . Quotient Space . . . still didn't happen for me. You got me Tom. And that diagram your cited, what is that? Anyway, I'm not clear at all what a quotient space is and how it can model chaotic behavior. Might you provide a concrete example with pictures. Yea, pictures . . . that would be nice.:rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?