1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous onto function

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1.Is it true that if f is continuous onto function on a closed interval then f(x) must also be a closed interval. How about the other way around. f is continuous and onto on a open bounded interval and f(x) is a closed interval

2. Relevant equations
    f:[0,1]-->(0,1)
    f:(0,1)-->[0,1]

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is a theorem that says that if f is continuous on a closed and bounded interval then set of f(x) is a closed and bounded interval.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True, that is a theorem. f continuous on a closed interval then the image of f is a closed interval. If f is continous on an open interval then the range can be closed, open or neither. Can you find an example of each?

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Does this mean that f:[0,1]-->(0,1) does not exist. If both are closed intervals there are several examples, including the trivial f(x)=x

I don't have an example for continuous onto f:(0,1)-->[0,1]

5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, there is no continuous function f mapping [0,1]->(0,1). You cited the theorem. For mapping (0,1) into [0,1], can't you think of a function where f(0)=1/2, f(1/3)=1, f(2/3)=0 and f(1)=1/2? Surely you can draw one.

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    It has to be an onto function. I am not aware of one as you have described.

7. Dec 10, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Onto what? It's certainly onto [0,1].

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7
    Yes. But I don't have an example as you have described. Sorry. I am always bad with examples.

9. Dec 10, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't you linearly interpolate between the values I gave? You could also fit it to a polynomial. You could scale a sine function. Any number of things you could do to get an explicit example. You did sketch one, right? That's all I care about.

10. Dec 11, 2008 #9
    sin(4x) works

Thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?