How to Calculate the Probability of a Pump Failure in a Given Mile Range?

In summary, KleerCo's current vacuum powered air pump lasts an average of 63,000 miles before it becomes ineffective.
tjera
I need help with this problem:
KleerCo supplies an under-hood, emissions-control air pump to the
automotive industry. The pump is vacuum powered and works while the
engine is operating, cleaning the exhaust by pumping extra oxygen into
the exhaust system. If a pump fails before the vehicle in which it is
installed has covered 50,000 miles, federal emissions regulations
require that it be replaced at no cost to the vehicle owner. The
company’s current air pump lasts an average of 63,000 miles, with a
standard deviation of 10,000 miles. The number of miles a pump
operates before becoming ineffective has been found to be normally
distributed.

a. For the current pump design, what percentage of the company’s pumps
will have to be replaced at no charge to the consumer?(P of X being smaller or equal to 50,000)

b. What percentage of the company’s pumps will fail at exactly 50,000
miles?(P of X being equal to 50,000)

c. What percentage of the company’s pumps will fail between 40,000 and
55,000 miles?(P of X being between those two values)

d. For what number of miles does the probability become 80% that a
randomly selected pump will no longer be effective?

I have found a,b,and c , but i don't know how to solve d. Since the value of Z is given,which is 0.80, i checked the Z scores table and tried to find a value close to 0,80 but i couldent see anything...

I would be forever grateful to someone who can help (i have an exam tomorrow !).

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
In 'd' you don't have a Z-score, you have a probability. Think about it this way: you are looking for the number of miles that must pass for there to be an 80% chance of failure.

In ortherwords, you want to look in the body of the table for "0.8000" and use that to find Z.

You won't find exactly "0.8000" but in the table I looked at (I used this one: http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm ) they had "0.7995" and "0.8023" so the correct Z lies between the "Z" value for each of those. If you like, you could do a "linear interpolation" between the Z values to get a more accurate approximation: 0.8000 is (0.80000-0.7995)/(0.8023- 0.7995)= 0.0005/0.0028= 0.179 so the Z value will be the Z value at 0.7995 plus 0.179 of the difference between the Z scores at 0.8023 and 0.7995.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is continuous probability?

Continuous probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood or chance of an event occurring in a continuous range of values. It is used to model and analyze situations where the outcome can take on any value within a given interval, rather than a specific discrete value.

2. How is continuous probability different from discrete probability?

Discrete probability deals with events that have a finite or countable number of outcomes, while continuous probability deals with events that have an infinite number of possible outcomes within a continuous range of values. Discrete probability is often used for situations such as coin flips and dice rolls, while continuous probability is used for situations such as measuring heights or weights.

3. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a continuous random variable falling within a given range of values. It is represented by a curve that is always non-negative and integrates to 1. The area under the curve between two points represents the probability of the random variable falling within that range of values.

4. How is continuous probability used in real life?

Continuous probability has many applications in real life, such as in finance, engineering, and science. It can be used to model and analyze data in fields such as weather forecasting, stock market predictions, and risk assessment. It is also used to make decisions and predictions based on data collected from experiments or observations.

5. What is the difference between probability and probability density?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, while probability density is a measure of the likelihood of a continuous random variable falling within a given range of values. Probability is a single value, while probability density is a function. In other words, probability tells us the chance of a specific outcome, while probability density tells us the chance of a range of outcomes.