1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous time convolution

1. Aug 30, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble doing ct convolution

i'm trying to convolve two signals together ie, the input x(t) and the impulse response h(t). basically, knowing the impulse response of an LTI system, you can find out the response y(t) to any arbitrary input x(t) using the convolution integral.

in my problem

x(t) = t * ( u(t) - 2*( u(t - 1) + u(t - 2)),
    h(t) = u(-t) - u(-t + 1)

So i had a look at examples of calculating the integral using the graphical method, and i get a triangle signal as y(t), convolving the signals above. however, the question wants me to do it using direct integration. I have no idea how to do this! Anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is u(t)?

4. Aug 31, 2008 #3
    Unit step function

5. Aug 31, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

He wasn't asking you what that notation meant, but how you should think of interpreting what it means when integrating it.

6. Aug 31, 2008 #5
    THat's the thing, when I put it into the integral I have to work out a bunch of inequalities that really makes my head spin. This question is so much harder than the example :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?