1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuously differentiable

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that the function f: R^n --> R is continuously differentiable. Let x be a point in R^n. For p a nonzero point in R^n and alpha a nonzero real number, show that
    (df/d(alphap))(x)=alpha(df/d(p))(x)

2. Relevant equations

A function f: I --> R, defined on an open interval, is called continuously differentiable provided that it is differentiable and its derivative is continuous.

3. The attempt at a solution

Unfortunately, I do not have one. Which is why I am in dire need of help. I don't know where to begin. By the way, sorry for the horrible formatting, I am new to the forums.

Edit: Okay, I might have an attempt at a solution.
    (df/d(alphap))(x)=<gradientf(x),alphap>=alpha<gradientf(x),p>=alpha(df/dp)(x)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If df/d(p) means the directional derivative of f in the direction p, I think that looks ok.

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    Oh, sorry. Yeah. I was talking about the directional derivative. I don't know how to write the actual notation for directional derivatives on here. And thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook