Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuously imaging with AFM

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1

ema

Hello,
    I am a newbie in AFM and do not have enough time to figure out the answer to a probably easy question:
    I need to image continuously, for several times without modifying the scan settings, a relatively flat sample (+/-3 or 4nm) and I notice the following:
    In CM, after a while, the deflection is drifted to (usually) higher values, fact that is modifying considerably the sample-probe interaction force. This is also visible in the images (higher or lower heights) and is destroying the sample.
    Similar effects I see in TM: after taking several images the set point doesn’t remain the same any more..the pictures are getting fade and I recover them only after modifying the scan settings.
    I would like to know what is the cause of these effects and if there is a way to eliminate them.

Many thanks,
    ema

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted