Contitunity on a Manifold

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date

AKG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I wasn't using the Rn -> Rm notation as a substitute for M -> N. I was using it because it was what I thought you meant by the "basic definition from simple calculus". I only used Rn -> Rm to talk about the simple calculus definition of continuity, never the manifold definition. And the notation Rn -> Rm DOES mean that every point in Rn gets mapped to a point in Rm, just as M -> N means that every point in M gets mapped toa point in N.

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pete, a manifold is just some small chunks of R^n glued together via atlas on it. If you understand continuity in R^n, which is a totally local concept, you understand it on a manifold.

matt grime said:
Pete, a manifold is just some small chunks of R^n glued together via atlas on it. If you understand continuity in R^n, which is a totally local concept, you understand it on a manifold.
I know what a manifold is. The reason for this thread/question was due to an error in the text I'm reading. The definition given in the text for continuity didn't seem right to me. But I believe that mathwonk posted a quote of that definition from the same text and its different than the one I used. The version he posted seems quite logical to me and thus makes sense. I think that we have texts from two different printings where mathwonk has a later printing with this correction in it.

Pete

mathwonk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
good to hear from you again pete. please forgive me for pushing the responses beyond the point where they were helpful.

best regards,

roy