1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contiuous string equation

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A string of mass M and length L is attached to walls at either end, and is
    under tension T. The string is held at rest in the following shape: y=B for L/2<x<3L/4
    and y= 0 for the rest of the string. The string is released
    at t =0.(a) Find y(x, t). You may express your answer as an infinite
    series, so long as you have defined all the symbols in your series

2. Relevant equations
    y(x)=Bsinkx
    k=npi/L L =length of string n=mode no
    Y(x,y)=[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Bsin(kx)cos(wt) (sm over all n)

3. The attempt at a solution
    i dont understand how to incorporate the boundary conditions in given equation...i have been trying and all i come up with are two equations sin(3npix/2L) for 3l/4 and sin(kx) for L/2 ...Dont know how to go any further

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You probably mean$$
    y(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty B_n \sin(\frac{n\pi} L x)\cos(\omega_n t)$$If you put ##t=0## and call your initial position of the string ##f(x)## you have$$
    y(x,0)=f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty B_n \sin(\frac{n\pi} L x)$$This is a Fourier series problem. Use that theory to figure out ##B_n##. We will just gloss over the fact that a continuous string can't be put in that initial shape.

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    are you sure we have to use fourier analysis because we arent taught this yet we had to use the above equations !!

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I am sure. How did you get that solution in the first place? Did you use separation of variables? Fourier Series is standard material to go with that in problems like this. Maybe your teacher is trying to give you a "preview of coming attractions".

6. Feb 22, 2014 #5
    no i used brute force . got it!! thank you so much :)

7. Feb 22, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome. But you haven't "got it" until you know the formulas for ##B_n## and ##\omega_n##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted