Contour diagram and second order of partial derivative

In summary, z is an increasing function of x, a decreasing function of y, fxx and fyy are both negative, and the gradient of f is longer at point Q. The reasoning for part a) is that z increases as you move away from the y-axis, while for part b) z decreases as you move towards the y-axis. For part c) and d), the contours are spaced closer together as you move in the positive x and y directions, indicating a negative second derivative. And for part e), the magnitude of the gradient is proportional to the maximum rate of change at a point, which is greater at point P due to the closer contour lines.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

The following contour diagram represents the function z = f(x,y)

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9059/contour.th.jpg

(a) Is z an increasing or decreasing function of x?
I'd say it's increasing as it goes towards the x-axis the contour lines value goes down
(b) Is z an increasing or decreasing function of y?
I'd say it's decreasing as it goes towards the y-axis the contour lines value goes down
(c) Is fxx positive or negative?
I think it's negative
(d) Is fyy positive or negative?
I think it's negative
(e) Is grad f longer at point P or Q?
Q

Is my answer correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd agree with all of your answers. I'm I little confused about the reasoning on some of them. E.g. for a) I'd say it's an increasing function of x because z is increasing as you move away from the y-axis. Oh, I think I see what you mean. You mean f is increasing as you move ALONG the x-axis.

I just tried my answer and c) is supposed to be positive why is this?

Yeah, you're right. Sorry. As you move along the x-axis from a point z is increasing at an increasing rate since the contours are spaced closer together as you move in the positive x direction. I guess I wasn't paying close attention. Sorry again. Also think I might have been asleep at the wheel for e). The magnitude of grad is proportional to the maximum rate of change at a point, right? Closer contours mean faster rate of change.

and why is the answer to part e) P?

I already realized I'd been dozing. See the answer above. Sorry again.

1. What is a contour diagram?

A contour diagram is a graphical representation of a function in two variables, where the values of the function are shown through a series of curves or lines called contours. Each contour represents a constant value of the function, and the closer the contours are, the steeper the slope of the function.

2. How is a contour diagram useful in understanding functions?

Contour diagrams can provide visual insights into the behavior of a function, such as identifying regions of high or low values, and the shape of the function's surface. They can also be used to locate critical points, where the function's derivative is equal to zero, which can help in optimization problems.

3. What is the second order of partial derivative in relation to contour diagrams?

The second order of partial derivative refers to taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable twice, while holding the other variable constant. In contour diagrams, the second order of partial derivative can be represented by the curvature of the contours, which can indicate whether the function is concave or convex at a specific point.

4. How can contour diagrams be used in real-world applications?

Contour diagrams have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to analyze physical phenomena, such as electric fields and temperature distributions, and to model economic relationships, such as supply and demand curves.

5. Are there any limitations to using contour diagrams?

While contour diagrams can provide valuable insights into functions, they may not be able to accurately represent highly complex or discontinuous functions. Additionally, they may not be suitable for functions with more than two variables, as it becomes challenging to visualize the contours in higher dimensions.