Help Solve Daniel's Math Problem!

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving the integral \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\ln^{2}z}{1+z^{2}} \ dz, with one person suggesting a substitution and contour integral in the upper half-plane and another suggesting a different approach with a contour in the complex plane. The final solution involves using a contour from -R to R with a small semicircle in the upper half-plane and a large one in the upper half-plane, and evaluating the integral as the sum of three parts.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is it just me, or i can't get the residues right...?

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\ln^{2}z}{1+z^{2}} \ dz [/tex]

I get [itex]\frac{\pi^{3}}{2} [/itex] , but the result is [tex]\frac{\pi^{3}}{8} [/itex].

I make a substitution [itex] z=e^{t} [/itex]. And then convert to a contour integral closing it in the upper half-plane, where i have the poles [tex] i\frac{\pi}{2} + k\pi [/tex] k in N.

So please help me.

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see that the contour over the upper semi-circle will be going to zero. The sum of the residues in the upper half plane is divergent no?

You can take a different approach, instead consider

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\log^{2}{z}}{1+z^2}dz[/tex]

and look at a contour from -R to R with a small semicircle of radius r at the origin in the upper half plane and a large one of radius R in the upper half plane as well. As r->0 and R->infinity, these will contribute 0. From (-infinity,0) replace log(z) with log|z|+Pi*i and expand the square. One of the integrals is the one you are after, one can be evaluated as an arctan, one will essentially be the integral of log(z)/(1+z^2) from 0 to infinity (this last integral is zero, use the same contour to prove this). Finally you enclose just one simple pole at z=i.

1. How can I help solve Daniel's math problem?

To help solve Daniel's math problem, you can start by understanding the problem and identifying any key information or equations that may be needed. You can also consult with other people or resources for guidance and assistance.

2. What is Daniel's math problem?

Daniel's math problem is not specified, so it could refer to any math problem that Daniel needs help solving. It is important to clarify what the problem is and what specific help is needed.

3. Can you provide any hints or tips for solving Daniel's math problem?

Without knowing the specific problem, it is difficult to provide hints or tips. However, some general tips for solving math problems include breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or diagrams, and double-checking your work.

4. How long do I have to solve Daniel's math problem?

The time frame for solving Daniel's math problem will depend on various factors such as the complexity of the problem, the resources available, and the urgency of the situation. It is best to communicate with Daniel and determine a suitable timeline for solving the problem.

5. What should I do if I am unable to solve Daniel's math problem?

If you are unable to solve Daniel's math problem, don't worry. It is important to communicate with Daniel and seek help from others, such as a teacher or tutor. Remember that it is okay to ask for assistance and to work together to find a solution.