Contour integral around ∞

In summary, the function $f$ is holomorphic in an open subset of complex plane, containing the complement of the disc: $\mathbb C-D(0,r)$, and the integral is $2\pi i$ times the winding number of $\infty$ with respect to the contour, which is counterclockwise oriented.
pantboio
Consider the function
$$f(z)=Log(\frac{z-a}{z-b})$$
where $a,b\in D(0,r)$ , the disc of radius $r$ centered at the origin, open, and $r>0$. Show that $f$ is holomophic in an open subset of complex plane, containing the complement of the disc:$\mathbb C-D(0,r)$ and compute the integral
$$ \oint_{|z|=r}z^nf(z)dz$$

where $n\geq 0$ is an integer.

I'm quite confused about this problem. Because, the $Log$ in the RHS should be the principal branch, i.e. $Log(z)=log|z|+iArg(z)$, with $Arg(z)\in (-\pi,\pi)$ and $Arg(0)=0$. Then i should prove that $\frac{z-a}{z-b}$ does not intersect the real negative axis, but how to do this? However, suppose i could prove the holomorphicity, then I'm left to compute the integral, for which i tought to use the residue formula applied to $\infty$ point, so calling $I$ the integral,
$$I=2\pi i Ind(\gamma,\infty)Res(f,\infty)$$
where $\gamma$ is the contour $|z|=1$, so that $ind(\gamma,\infty)=-1$. But then the computation of residue is very hard for me. Some help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: contour integral around $\infty$

maybe i solved the first part, noticing that
$$Arg(\frac{z-a}{z-b})=Arg(z-a)-Arg(z-b)$$
and the RHS is the angle between $z-a$ and $z-b$, so points such that $\frac{z-a}{z-b}$ lie on the negative real axis are those for which holds

$Arg(\frac{z-a}{z-b})=\pi$

which is the segment joining $a$ with $b$. Hence, taking $z$ with $|z|>Max(|a|,|b|)$ I'm sure that $\frac{z-a}{z-b}$ is not a negative real number

pantboio said:
Consider the function
$$f(z)=Log(\frac{z-a}{z-b})$$
where $a,b\in D(0,r)$ , the disc of radius $r$ centered at the origin, open, and $r>0$. Show that $f$ is holomophic in an open subset of complex plane, containing the complement of the disc:$\mathbb C-D(0,r)$ and compute the integral
$$ \oint_{|z|=r}z^nf(z)dz$$

where $n\geq 0$ is an integer.

I'm quite confused about this problem. Because, the $Log$ in the RHS should be the principal branch, i.e. $Log(z)=log|z|+iArg(z)$, with $Arg(z)\in (-\pi,\pi)$ and $Arg(0)=0$. Then i should prove that $\frac{z-a}{z-b}$ does not intersect the real negative axis, but how to do this? However, suppose i could prove the holomorphicity, then I'm left to compute the integral, for which i tought to use the residue formula applied to $\infty$ point, so calling $I$ the integral,
$$I=2\pi i Ind(\gamma,\infty)Res(f,\infty)$$
where $\gamma$ is the contour $|z|=1$, so that $ind(\gamma,\infty)=-1$. But then the computation of residue is very hard for me. Some help?

Also this post is very interesting!... and also hiding some traps!... proceeding 'step by step' first we remember the McLaurin expansion...

$\displaystyle \ln (z-a) = \ln (-a) - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^{n}}{n\ a^{n}}$ (1)

... and the series (1) converges for |z|<|a|. Because is...

$\displaystyle f(z)= \ln (z-a)- \ln (z-b)$ (2)

... we obtain that f(z) is holomorphic for $|z|< \text {min}\ (|a|,|b|)$ and, almost immediate consequence, for $r< \text {min}\ (|a|,|b|)$, is...

$\displaystyle \oint_{|z|=|r|} z^{n}\ f(z) = 0$ (3)

What happens for $r> \text {min}\ (|a|,|b|)$ will be examined in next posts... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Also this post is very interesting!... and also hiding some traps!... proceeding 'step by step' first we remember the McLaurin expansion...

$\displaystyle \ln (z-a) = \ln (-a) - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^{n}}{n\ a^{n}}$ (1)

... and the series (1) converges for |z|<|a|. Because is...

$\displaystyle f(z)= \ln (z-a)- \ln (z-b)$ (2)

... we obtain that f(z) is holomorphic for $|z|< \text {min}\ (|a|,|b|)$ and, almost immediate consequence, for $r< \text {min}\ (|a|,|b|)$, is...

$\displaystyle \oint_{|z|=|r|} z^{n}\ f(z) = 0$ (3)

What happens for $r> \text {min}\ (|a|,|b|)$ will be examined in next posts... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$
maybe i have a proof. I simply factorize $z$ instead of $a$ in $z-a$. So: $Log(z-a)=Log(z(1-\frac{a}{z}))=Log(z)+Log(1-\frac{a}{z})$, and similarly for $Log(z-b)$. Summarizing we have

$$Log(\frac{z-a}{z-b})=Log(z)+Log(1-\frac{a}{z})-Log(z)-Log(1-\frac{b}{z})$$

which holds for $|z|>a,b$, as we wanted,and so..

$$\ldots=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{a^n}{z^n} -\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{b^n}{z^n}$$

Hence we get

$$z^nLog(\frac{z-a}{z-b})=z^n (-2-\frac{a-b}{z}-\frac{a^2-b^2}{z^2}\ldots)$$

we are interested in the coefficient of $\frac{1}{z}$, which is $-(a^{n+1}-b^{n+1})$, but with the signum $+$, since we are looking for residue at $\infty$, not at $0$.

Conclusion: the integral is $2\pi i$ times $a^{n+1}-b^{n+1}$ times the winding number of $\infty$ with respect to the contour, which is counterclockwise oriented, so -1.

pantboio said:
maybe i have a proof. I simply factorize $z$ instead of $a$ in $z-a$. So: $Log(z-a)=Log(z(1-\frac{a}{z}))=Log(z)+Log(1-\frac{a}{z})$, and similarly for $Log(z-b)$. Summarizing we have

$$\ldots=\sum_{n={\color{red}1}}^{\infty}\frac{a^n}{{\color{red}n}z^n} -\sum_{n={\color{red}1}}^{\infty}\frac{b^n}{{\color{red}n}z^n}$$

Hence we get

$$z^nLog(\frac{z-a}{z-b})=z^n (-\frac{a-b}{z}-\frac{a^2-b^2}{{\color{red}2}z^2}\ldots)$$

we are interested in the coefficient of $\frac{1}{z}$, which is $\color{red}{-\dfrac{a^{n+1}-b^{n+1}}{n+1}}$, but with the signum $+$, since we are looking for residue at $\infty$, not at $0$.
I think that is correct, except that you have left out the coefficient $1/n$ in the $n$th term of the power series (see the bits in red above). Also, the power series starts with the term $n=1$, not $n=0$.

pantboio said:

$$\ldots=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{a^n}{z^n} -\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{b^n}{z^n}$$

Hence we get

$$z^nLog(\frac{z-a}{z-b})=z^n (-2-\frac{a-b}{z}-\frac{a^2-b^2}{z^2}\ldots)$$

we are interested in the coefficient of $\frac{1}{z}$, which is $-(a^{n+1}-b^{n+1})$, but with the signum $+$, since we are looking for residue at $\infty$, not at $0$.

Conclusion: the integral is $2\pi i$ times $a^{n+1}-b^{n+1}$ times the winding number of $\infty$ with respect to the contour, which is counterclockwise oriented, so -1.

With the exception of some minor details that have been adjusted, Your solution is very good!... we have...

$\displaystyle f(z) = \ln \frac{z-a}{z-b} = \ln (1-\frac{a}{z}) - \ln (1- \frac{b}{z}) = - \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{a^{k}}{k\ z^{k}} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{b^{k}}{k\ z^{k}}$ (1)

What is important to say is that f(z) is the sum of two Laurent expansions and the convergence condition is $\displaystyle |z|> \text{max} (|a|,|b|)$, and if it is satisfied we easily obtain that...

$\displaystyle \oint_{|z|=r} z^{n}\ f(z)\ dz = 2\ \pi\ i\ \frac {b^{n+1} - a^{n+1}}{n+1}$ (2)

Very well!... we have computed the integral for $\displaystyle r< \text{min} (|a|,|b|)$ and $\displaystyle r> \text{max} (|a|,|b|)$... but what does if happen in other cases?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Very well!... we have computed the integral for $\displaystyle r< \text{min} (|a|,|b|)$ and $\displaystyle r> \text{max} (|a|,|b|)$... but what does if happen in other cases?...

If we suppose that |b|>|a| [if not we swap b and a of course...], then the only controbution to the integral is given by... $\displaystyle f_{a} (z) = \ln (z-a) = \ln z + \ln (1-\frac{a}{z}) = \ln z - \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{a^{n}}{n\ z^{n}}$ (1)

The controbution of the second term of (1) has been already computed, so that we have to find the integral... $\displaystyle \oint_{|z|=r} z^{n}\ \ln z\ dz$ (2)... where |a|< r < |b|. Setting $\displaystyle z= r\ e^{i\ \theta}$ we have... $\displaystyle \oint_{|z|=r} z^{n}\ \ln z\ dz = i\ r^{n+1}\ \int_{- \pi}^{+ \pi} (\ln r + i\ \theta)\ e^{i\ (n+1)\ \theta}\ d \theta = 2\ \pi\ i\ r^{n+1}\ \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+1}$ (3)

... so that for |a|< r < |b| is...

$\displaystyle \oint_{|z|=r} z^{n}\ f_{a}(z)\ dz = 2\ \pi\ i\ \frac{(-1)^{n+1}\ r^{n+1} - a^{n+1}}{n+1} $ (4)Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

1. What is a contour integral around ∞?

A contour integral around ∞ is a type of path integral that is evaluated over a closed loop encircling the point at infinity on the complex plane. It is commonly used in complex analysis to calculate the value of a function at infinity or to evaluate improper integrals.

2. How is a contour integral around ∞ different from a regular contour integral?

A contour integral around ∞ differs from a regular contour integral in that it is evaluated over a closed loop encircling the point at infinity, rather than a finite region on the complex plane. This requires special techniques and considerations, such as the use of a keyhole contour or the application of Cauchy's residue theorem.

3. When is it necessary to use a contour integral around ∞?

A contour integral around ∞ is typically used when dealing with functions that have singularities at infinity, or when evaluating improper integrals that extend to infinity. It is also useful in solving certain types of differential equations and in the study of complex functions.

4. What are some applications of contour integrals around ∞?

Contour integrals around ∞ have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in solving problems involving electric potential and fluid flow, in the analysis of control systems, and in the study of signal processing. They also have important applications in the theory of complex functions and in the solution of differential equations.

5. How can I evaluate a contour integral around ∞?

The evaluation of a contour integral around ∞ can be done using various techniques, such as the residue theorem, the Laplace transform, or the Fourier transform. It is important to carefully choose the contour, use proper substitutions, and apply the appropriate theorems and techniques. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of complex analysis and the properties of complex functions.