1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integral, exp(-z^2)

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Integrate exp(-z^2) over the rectangle with vertices at 0, R, R + ia, and ia.

2. Relevant equations

int(0, inf)(exp(-x^2)) = sqrt(pi/2)

3. The attempt at a solution I really don't have much of an idea here - the function is analytic so has no residues... The part from 0 to R is just the real integral, but for the other 3 sides I'm not too sure on how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Isn't the contour integral equal to 0 if there are no poles?

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    This is what I would have thought, but I'm supposed to be using the integral of e^(-z^2) to evaluate the real integral int(0,inf)((e^(-x^2))*cos(2ax)), which is apparently equal to
    sqrt(pi)*exp(-a^2)/2.

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4
  6. Mar 20, 2010 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Ah, that makes much more sense.

If we want to integrate from R+ia to ia, just integrate e^(-z^2)dz=e^-(x+ia)^2 dx from R to 0. Do the same for the other 3 sides. You won't get an analytic answer, but that's OK; just write out the entire contour integral first and you'll see where this is going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?