1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour Integral problem

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to find

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{exp(ax)}{cosh(x)} dx
    [/tex]

where 0<a<1 and x is taken to be real. I'm doing this by contour integration using a contour with corners +- R, +- R + i(pi), and I'm getting an imaginary answer which is

[tex]\frac{2i\pi}{sin (a \pi)}[/tex].

I'm thinking this is a problem because my original integral was completely real. Can I just take the real part of my answer, and say the integral = 0 ? That doesn't seem to make any sense, I've drawn a graph of the function and it doesn't look like it's integral should be zero! I'm fairly sure my answer to the contour integral is correct!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2
    P.s - is there a guide to using tex on physics forums somewhere? Then I could format the above properly!

4. Jun 11, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Math & Science Tutorials --> Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

5. Jun 11, 2007 #4
    Ah thanks, I knew there was one somewhere!

6. Jun 11, 2007 #5
    Oops, stupid me! The answer is

[tex]
    \frac{\pi}{cos(\frac{a\pi}{2})}
    [/tex]

I didn't work out the phase shift the function takes on along the top line of the path properly!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?