Contour Integration for the Complex Contour Integral Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a function using contour integration. The resulting answer is imaginary, which is a problem since the original integral was real. The speaker suggests taking the real part of the answer, but this doesn't seem to make sense based on the graph of the function. Ultimately, the correct answer is given as \frac{\pi}{cos(\frac{a\pi}{2})}. The conversation also briefly mentions using LaTeX for typesetting mathematical equations.
ijustlost
I'm trying to find

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{exp(ax)}{cosh(x)} dx
[/tex]

where 0<a<1 and x is taken to be real. I'm doing this by contour integration using a contour with corners +- R, +- R + i(pi), and I'm getting an imaginary answer which is

[tex]\frac{2i\pi}{sin (a \pi)}[/tex].

I'm thinking this is a problem because my original integral was completely real. Can I just take the real part of my answer, and say the integral = 0 ? That doesn't seem to make any sense, I've drawn a graph of the function and it doesn't look like it's integral should be zero! I'm fairly sure my answer to the contour integral is correct!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
P.s - is there a guide to using tex on physics forums somewhere? Then I could format the above properly!

Math & Science Tutorials --> Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

Ah thanks, I knew there was one somewhere!

Oops, stupid me! The answer is

[tex]
\frac{\pi}{cos(\frac{a\pi}{2})}
[/tex]

I didn't work out the phase shift the function takes on along the top line of the path properly!

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of line integral in complex analysis, where the integral is taken along a path in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the value of a complex function in a region by integrating along a closed curve surrounding that region.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A contour integral is different from a regular integral because it is taken along a path in the complex plane rather than on a straight line. It also involves complex numbers, which makes it more complex and challenging to solve.

3. What are some applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in complex analysis, such as calculating residues, finding the solutions of differential equations, and evaluating integrals that are difficult to solve by other methods.

4. How do you calculate a contour integral?

The calculation of a contour integral involves breaking the complex function into simpler functions, finding the antiderivative, and then evaluating the integral along the given contour. This can be done using methods such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem.

5. What are some common challenges in solving contour integral problems?

One of the main challenges in solving contour integral problems is choosing the correct path of integration, as it can greatly affect the value of the integral. Another challenge is finding the correct antiderivative of the complex function, which can be difficult and time-consuming. Additionally, dealing with singularities and branch cuts in the complex plane can also pose challenges in solving contour integral problems.