1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integral w/ sqrt

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The integral I'm trying to solve is sqrt(x)/(1+x^2) from 0 to infinity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I've attached my solution. I know it's not right, as I shouldn't get an imaginary solution. The answer is actually pi/sqrt(2) according to my book. The author used a keyhole contour (branch cut along positive real axis and avoiding the branch point at z=0), but I don't see what's wrong with my approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

First consider: What is [itex]i^{1/2}[/itex] in cartesian form? (x + i*y). This won't solve the issue, but is just to remind you that to check that i^0.5 isn't actually 1- i (it's not, but it's close).

The real problem is the arc on the negative axis. You set [itex]z = re^{i\pi}[/itex], but forgot an extra factor of e^{i pi} from the differential dz.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    sqrt(i) = e^(i*pi/4)= (1/sqrt(2))*(1+i)... Any idea what is amiss? I still don't see it.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Whoops, you got in before I edited it. You missed a factor of e^{i pi} that comes from [itex]dz = dr e^{i\pi}[/itex] on your arc on the negative axis. You really have a factor of [itex](1-e^{i 3 \pi/2}) = (1 + i)[/itex].

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5
    Ah, okay. Thanks, so much. That solves some of the issues I was having with earlier problems too I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook