1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour Integral

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

dvj2mo.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

We can parametrise the contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] (the positively oriented unit circle) by [itex]\gamma(t) = e^{it}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [0, 2\pi ][/itex]

So by the definition of a contour integral

10y07kp.jpg

[itex]\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{2e^{it}}{e^{2it} + w^2} ie^{it} \; dt[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \;\;\;= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{e^{2it}}{e^{2it} + w^2} \; dt[/itex]

How do I evaluate this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let [itex]y= e^{2it}+ w^2[/itex]

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    In fact, noticing that the numerator of the integrand of [tex]\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{2ie^{2it}}{e^{2it} + w^2} \; dt[/tex] is the derivative of the denominator: [tex]\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \left[ \log(e^{2it} + w^2) \right]^{2\pi}_0 = \frac{1}{2\pi i} [\log(1+w^2) - \log(1+w^2)] = 0[/tex]

But what is this thing about the complex parameter [itex]w[/itex] that the question asks about? Will the result ever not be 0?

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the residue theorem! Don't mess with antiderivatives if there are singularities around.

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    OK, so turning to the residue theorem:

1fa3qx.jpg

The singularities of [itex]\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{2z}{z^2+w^2}[/itex] are [itex]\pm iw[/itex].

[itex]\text{res}(f,\pm iw) = 1[/itex].

The contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a positively oriented unit circle.

So if [itex]w \in [-1,1][/itex] then the winding number [itex]n ( \gamma , \pm iw ) =1[/itex]. If [itex]w \notin [-1,1][/itex] then the winding number [itex]n ( \gamma , \pm iw ) =0[/itex].

So [tex]2\pi i \times I = 2\pi i \left( \pm iw \times 1 \right)[/tex] for [itex]w\in [-1,1][/itex] and [itex]I=0[/itex] otherwise?

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The residues aren't [itex]\pm iw[/itex]. They are 1, as you said. Fix your final answer. And they want you to consider w as a complex parameter, describing it using interval notation is for real numbers. And you might want to think about the case |w|=1 separately. But that's a good start. Just needs a little fixing.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. Jan 21, 2012 #7
    The singularities are [itex]\pm iw[/itex] ; the residues are 1 - correct?

[itex]I = (1 \times 1 + 1 \times 1) = 2[/itex] if [itex]-1 < \text{Re}(w) < 1[/itex] and [itex]-i <\text{Im}(w) < i[/itex].

and [itex]I=0[/itex] if [itex]\text{Re}(w) < -1[/itex] or [itex]\text{Re}(w) > 1[/itex] or [itex]\text{Im}(w) < -i[/itex] or [itex]\text{Im}(w) > i[/itex]

If [itex]|w|=1[/itex] is the winding number still 1?

9. Jan 21, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the integral is 4*pi*i if w inside of the contour right? The region you are describing sounds like a square to me. And the contour is round. If |w|=1 then your contour integral is singular, isn't it? The poles will be on the contour. You can still assign the integral a value if you interpret it as a Cauchy principal value, if you covered that.

10. Jan 21, 2012 #9
    I think I=2 as that factor of [itex]2\pi i[/itex] gets cancelled by that of the original integral. Why is the integral 'singular' if [itex]|w|=1[/itex]? And yes, I know the contour is a circle but I'm having trouble describing it - I now see I was describing a square before!

11. Jan 21, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. The original definition cancels the 2*pi*i. The integral is singular if |w|=1 because then iw is on the unit circle. You'll get a zero in the denominator as you integrate. What's wrong with |w|<1 as a description of the interior of the unit circle?

12. Jan 21, 2012 #11
    I don't know why I didn't think to describe [itex]w[/itex] like that. Does this description of [itex]I[/itex] look OK:

[tex]I = \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}
    2 & : \;|w|< 1\\
    0 & : \;|w|>1\\
    \text{undefined} & : \; |w|=1
    \end{array}
    \right.[/tex]

13. Jan 21, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine. Like I said before, if you take the principal value sense of the integral you could show you get 1 for |w|=1, but if you haven't covered that, don't worry about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook