Contour Integral Homework: Evaluate I

In summary: Right. The original definition cancels the 2*pi*i. The integral is singular if |w|=1 because then iw is on the unit circle. You'll get a zero in the denominator as you integrate.
Ted123

Homework Statement

dvj2mo.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

We can parametrise the contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] (the positively oriented unit circle) by [itex]\gamma(t) = e^{it}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [0, 2\pi ][/itex]

So by the definition of a contour integral

10y07kp.jpg

[itex]\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{2e^{it}}{e^{2it} + w^2} ie^{it} \; dt[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \;\;\;= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{e^{2it}}{e^{2it} + w^2} \; dt[/itex]

How do I evaluate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]y= e^{2it}+ w^2[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
Let [itex]y= e^{2it}+ w^2[/itex]

In fact, noticing that the numerator of the integrand of [tex]\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{2ie^{2it}}{e^{2it} + w^2} \; dt[/tex] is the derivative of the denominator: [tex]\displaystyle I = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \left[ \log(e^{2it} + w^2) \right]^{2\pi}_0 = \frac{1}{2\pi i} [\log(1+w^2) - \log(1+w^2)] = 0[/tex]

But what is this thing about the complex parameter [itex]w[/itex] that the question asks about? Will the result ever not be 0?

Use the residue theorem! Don't mess with antiderivatives if there are singularities around.

Dick said:
Use the residue theorem! Don't mess with antiderivatives if there are singularities around.

OK, so turning to the residue theorem:

1fa3qx.jpg

The singularities of [itex]\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{2z}{z^2+w^2}[/itex] are [itex]\pm iw[/itex].

[itex]\text{res}(f,\pm iw) = 1[/itex].

The contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a positively oriented unit circle.

So if [itex]w \in [-1,1][/itex] then the winding number [itex]n ( \gamma , \pm iw ) =1[/itex]. If [itex]w \notin [-1,1][/itex] then the winding number [itex]n ( \gamma , \pm iw ) =0[/itex].

So [tex]2\pi i \times I = 2\pi i \left( \pm iw \times 1 \right)[/tex] for [itex]w\in [-1,1][/itex] and [itex]I=0[/itex] otherwise?

Ted123 said:
OK, so turning to the residue theorem:

1fa3qx.jpg

The singularities of [itex]\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{2z}{z^2+w^2}[/itex] are [itex]\pm iw[/itex].

[itex]\text{res}(f,\pm iw) = 1[/itex].

The contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a positively oriented unit circle.

So if [itex]w \in [-1,1][/itex] then the winding number [itex]n ( \gamma , \pm iw ) =1[/itex]. If [itex]w \notin [-1,1][/itex] then the winding number [itex]n ( \gamma , \pm iw ) =0[/itex].

So [tex]2\pi i \times I = 2\pi i \left( \pm iw \times 1 \right)[/tex] for [itex]w\in [-1,1][/itex] and [itex]I=0[/itex] otherwise?

The residues aren't [itex]\pm iw[/itex]. They are 1, as you said. Fix your final answer. And they want you to consider w as a complex parameter, describing it using interval notation is for real numbers. And you might want to think about the case |w|=1 separately. But that's a good start. Just needs a little fixing.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The residues aren't [itex]\pm iw[/itex]. They are 1. Fix your final answer. And they want you to consider w as a complex parameter, describing it using interval notation is for real numbers. And you might want to think about the case |w|=1 separately. But that's a good start. Just needs a little fixing.

The singularities are [itex]\pm iw[/itex] ; the residues are 1 - correct?

[itex]I = (1 \times 1 + 1 \times 1) = 2[/itex] if [itex]-1 < \text{Re}(w) < 1[/itex] and [itex]-i <\text{Im}(w) < i[/itex].

and [itex]I=0[/itex] if [itex]\text{Re}(w) < -1[/itex] or [itex]\text{Re}(w) > 1[/itex] or [itex]\text{Im}(w) < -i[/itex] or [itex]\text{Im}(w) > i[/itex]

If [itex]|w|=1[/itex] is the winding number still 1?

Ted123 said:
The singularities are [itex]\pm iw[/itex] ; the residues are 1 - correct?

[itex]I = (1 \times 1 + 1 \times 1) = 2[/itex] if [itex]-1 < \text{Re}(w) < 1[/itex] and [itex]-i <\text{Im}(w) < i[/itex].

and [itex]I=0[/itex] if [itex]\text{Re}(w) < -1[/itex] or [itex]\text{Re}(w) > 1[/itex] or [itex]\text{Im}(w) < -i[/itex] or [itex]\text{Im}(w) > i[/itex]

If [itex]|w|=1[/itex] is the winding number still 1?

So the integral is 4*pi*i if w inside of the contour right? The region you are describing sounds like a square to me. And the contour is round. If |w|=1 then your contour integral is singular, isn't it? The poles will be on the contour. You can still assign the integral a value if you interpret it as a Cauchy principal value, if you covered that.

Dick said:
So the integral is 4*pi*i if w inside of the contour right? The region you are describing sounds like a square to me. And the contour is round. If |w|=1 then your contour integral is singular, isn't it? The poles will be on the contour. You can still assign the integral a value if you interpret it as a Cauchy principal value, if you covered that.

I think I=2 as that factor of [itex]2\pi i[/itex] gets canceled by that of the original integral. Why is the integral 'singular' if [itex]|w|=1[/itex]? And yes, I know the contour is a circle but I'm having trouble describing it - I now see I was describing a square before!

Ted123 said:
I think I=2 as that factor of [itex]2\pi i[/itex] gets canceled by that of the original integral. Why is the integral 'singular' if [itex]|w|=1[/itex]? And yes, I know the contour is a circle but I'm having trouble describing it - I now see I was describing a square before!

Right. The original definition cancels the 2*pi*i. The integral is singular if |w|=1 because then iw is on the unit circle. You'll get a zero in the denominator as you integrate. What's wrong with |w|<1 as a description of the interior of the unit circle?

Dick said:
Right. The original definition cancels the 2*pi*i. The integral is singular if |w|=1 because then iw is on the unit circle. You'll get a zero in the denominator as you integrate. What's wrong with |w|<1 as a description of the interior of the unit circle?

I don't know why I didn't think to describe [itex]w[/itex] like that. Does this description of [itex]I[/itex] look OK:

[tex]I = \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}
2 & : \;|w|< 1\\
0 & : \;|w|>1\\
\text{undefined} & : \; |w|=1
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

Ted123 said:
I don't know why I didn't think to describe [itex]w[/itex] like that. Does this description of [itex]I[/itex] look OK:

[tex]I = \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}
2 & : \;|w|< 1\\
0 & : \;|w|>1\\
\text{undefined} & : \; |w|=1
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

Looks fine. Like I said before, if you take the principal value sense of the integral you could show you get 1 for |w|=1, but if you haven't covered that, don't worry about it.

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of line integral that is used in complex analysis to calculate the value of a function along a specific path in the complex plane.

2. How do I evaluate a contour integral?

To evaluate a contour integral, you must first choose a path in the complex plane, then parameterize the path and substitute it into the integral. Next, simplify the integral using the properties of complex numbers, and then calculate the value of the integral.

3. What is the Cauchy-Goursat theorem and how is it related to contour integrals?

The Cauchy-Goursat theorem states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the value of a contour integral along any closed path within that region is equal to zero. This theorem is useful in evaluating contour integrals, as it allows us to choose a simpler path to calculate the integral.

4. What are some common methods for evaluating contour integrals?

Some common methods for evaluating contour integrals include the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, and the use of parametric equations to simplify the integral. The method chosen will depend on the specific function and path being integrated.

5. Can contour integrals be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, contour integrals have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and other physical quantities in real-world situations. They are also used in signal processing and image reconstruction.