Contour Integrals: Transforming & Residue Theorem

In summary, the integral of a meromorphic function over a closed contour is equal to 2pi i times the sum of the enclosed residues, regardless of the contour chosen. However, choosing a simpler contour, like the unit circle, makes the calculation easier.
aaaa202
You can do integrals of real functions like:

[itex]\oint[/itex]1/(3-sinθ) by transforming to a complex contour, which enloses the origin, and then using the residue theorem. Normally you would transform to the unit circle, but in principal you could use any contour (right?). Now, sometimes you find that some rediues are inside the unit circle and some are not. If you picked a difference contour this could be changed. However, the integral above must give the same for every contour, so what is it that still makes the complex integrals give the same (even though different contours are involved.)

Physics news on Phys.org
the integral above must give the same for every contour
No, that's not true, for exactly the reason you said. The integral depends on which poles of the function are inside the contour. What is true is that you can find a specific definite integral by finding a contour that includes the interval of integration. The integral over that interval will be constant while the integral over the entire contour and the integral over the rest of the contour vary- there difference being the constant.

hmm I might need you to repeat that for me. Say we have some kind of sinusoidal function that is to be integrated from [0;2[itex]\pi[/itex]]. There are infinitely many contours in the complex plane that encloses the origin and they may well have different poles inside them. How do you then know which of those will give the correct value for the real valued integral of the sinusoidal function? I always did the unit circle (easiest!) but guessing the others will be just as good, it is weird that they would yield different results for the integral.
Or is that exactly what compensates for the fact that when you substitute [itex]\theta[/itex] = [itex]\theta[/itex](z) you will get different expressions for sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) as a function of z? For instance sin[itex]\theta[/itex] = 1/(2i)(z/r + r/z) for the general substitution z=rexp(i[itex]\theta[/itex])

aaaa202 said:
You can do integrals of real functions like:

[itex]\oint[/itex]1/(3-sinθ) by transforming to a complex contour, which enloses the origin, and then using the residue theorem. Normally you would transform to the unit circle, but in principal you could use any contour (right?). Now, sometimes you find that some rediues are inside the unit circle and some are not. If you picked a difference contour this could be changed. However, the integral above must give the same for every contour, so what is it that still makes the complex integrals give the same (even though different contours are involved.)

You havin' trouble understanding that. The basis of the principle is the Residue Theorem: the integral of a meromorphic function (an analytic function with poles) over a closed contour is equal to 2pi i times the sum of the enclosed residues. Now, that's what's not going to change no matter what the contour is, big, small, circle, square, triangle. So you're referring to a real integral like:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{3-\sin(t)}dt[/tex]

Now, the easiest thing to do is to let [itex]z=e^{it}[/itex] but you could let [itex]z=5e^{it}[/itex] or any size circle but those others are just more difficult to work with. Nevertheless, they would still give you the correct answer as long as your complex algebra is correct and you correctly identify the enclosed poles for the residue calculation. For example, if I let [itex]z=5e^{it}[/itex], I get:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{dt}{3-\sin(t)}=\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=5}\left(-i\frac{dz}{z}\right) \frac{10iz}{30 iz-z^2+1}[/tex]

but I did that fast so you'd have to verify it. It's more messy though than just letting [itex]z=e^{it}[/itex].

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of line integral in the complex plane, which involves integrating a complex-valued function along a given curve in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the area or volume enclosed by the curve, as well as to evaluate complex integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

2. What is the purpose of transforming a contour integral?

Transforming a contour integral involves changing the shape or position of the curve in the complex plane. This is done in order to simplify the integral, making it easier to solve. It can also help to evaluate integrals that are not possible to solve using the original contour.

3. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of certain contour integrals without having to explicitly calculate the integral. It states that the value of a contour integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its isolated singularities inside the curve.

4. How is the Residue Theorem used in contour integrals?

The Residue Theorem is used by first identifying the singularities of the function inside the closed contour. Then, the residues at each singularity are calculated. Finally, the value of the contour integral is found by summing up the residues of the singularities inside the contour.

5. What are some applications of contour integrals and the Residue Theorem?

Contour integrals and the Residue Theorem have many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to solve complex integrals, calculate areas and volumes, evaluate infinite series, and solve differential equations. They are also used in the study of complex functions and their properties.