Evaluating a Contour Integral of log(z) | Explaining Branch Cuts

In summary, evaluating the integral of log(z) taken over a simple closed contour encircling the origin involves taking into account the singularities on branch cuts. By convention, the branch cut for ln(z) is taken along the negative real axis. This results in an added constant value of 2πni for some integer n when integrating over the branch cut. For a specific example of z = r*(cos(φ) + i*sin(φ)), the integral is equivalent to ∫(ln(R) +i*φ)dφ with integration limits of 0 and 2π. Further calculations are left to the reader.
eyesontheball1
Is it possible to evaluate the integral of log(z) taken over any simple closed contour encircling the origin? I don't fully understand how singularities on branch cuts should be treated when integrating over contours encircling such singularities. Are residues applied? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at your specific example, ln(z), by convention we take the branch cut along the negative real axis or [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex] when [itex]z= re^{i\theta}[/tex]. And, of course, [tex]ln(z)= ln(r)+ i\theta[/tex]. So integrating across a branch cut results in adding [tex]2\pi n i[tex] for some integer n. That is the difficulty with integrating over branch cuts- the integral value jumps by some multiple of a constant.

If you put z = r*(cos(φ) + i*sin(φ)), log(z) = ln(r) + i*φ (since both sine and cosine are periodic with period 2π, there are several values of φ we can use in the expression).

Thus ∫log(z) for |z|=R, is equivalent to ∫(ln(R) +i*φ)dφ where the integration limits are 0 and 2π. The rest is left as an exercise for the student...

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral where the integration path follows a specific curve or contour in the complex plane. This type of integral is commonly used in complex analysis to evaluate functions that have complex inputs or outputs.

2. What is the function log(z)?

The function log(z) is the natural logarithm of a complex number z. It is defined as the inverse of the exponential function, where log(z) is the number x such that e^x = z.

3. What are branch cuts?

Branch cuts are lines or curves in the complex plane where a function is not defined. They are used to represent the discontinuities in a function, particularly in functions like log(z) where there are multiple possible values for a given input.

4. Why is it important to evaluate a contour integral of log(z)?

Evaluating a contour integral of log(z) is important in order to understand the behavior of this function and its relationship to branch cuts. It also has practical applications in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of complex analysis and the calculation of certain physical quantities.

5. What is the process for evaluating a contour integral of log(z)?

The process for evaluating a contour integral of log(z) involves choosing an appropriate contour, determining the branch cuts of the function, and using techniques from complex analysis to evaluate the integral. This may include using Cauchy's integral formula or the residue theorem.