1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Contour integrals

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1

kreil

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following integral along two different contours, (a) a circle of radius |z|=1/2 centered at the origin, and (b) a circle of radius |z|=3 centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]I= \oint \, \frac{dz}{(z^2-1)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure that I'm doing this right because I keep getting zero for both integrals (maybe the limits are incorrect?)...

(a) Along this circle, |z|=r=1/2 and [itex]z=re^{i \theta} \, \, dz = i r e^{i \theta} d \theta[/itex] and the integral becomes

[tex]I= \oint \, \frac{dz}{(z^2-1)}= \oint \frac{i r e^{i \theta}d \theta}{r^2-1} = \frac{ir}{r^2-1} \oint_0^{2 \pi}e^{i \theta}d \theta = \frac{ir}{r^2-1} [sin(\theta)-i cos(\theta)]|_0^{2 \pi} = \frac{ir}{r^2-1}(-i+i)=0[/tex]

In part (b) the value of r changes but the integrand stays the same so I get zero again..what am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should get zero for both integrals. But you are also not doing it right. z^2 isn't r^2, it's r^2*exp(2*i*theta). Aren't you supposed to be doing this with the residue theorem?

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

ANY contour integral will give you exactly the same result, so long as the same poles are surrounded. Put in another way, contour integrals depend only on what poles they enclose (leading to the residue theorem that Dick mentioned), not on the path of integration.

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4

kreil

Gold Member

I thought you when you square z you use the complex conjugate (canceling the e's to 1)..?

[tex]z^2=zz^*=r^2 e^{i \theta}e^{-i \theta}=r^2[/tex]

Also, we haven't gotten to the residue theorem yet in the class so I don't believe I need to use it

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

zz* should be written as |z|^2. If someone is being really sloppy, like a physicist (and I'm one, so don't get me wrong here) they might just write z^2 instead. But I don't think that's what's meant here. If you haven't done the residue theorem, then you might have to do it the hard way. exp(2*i*theta)=cos(2*theta)+isin(2*theta). Try and convert it to real integrals and work each one out.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook