Contour Integrals: Calculate 0 to 1+i

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses integrating a contour on the complex plane and possible parameterizations for the contour. One approach suggests using a linear function and solving for the coefficients using the endpoints, while the other suggests using a parametric equation with a parameter r. Both methods involve using the endpoints to determine the limits of integration.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Calculate the following contour integrals [itex]\int_{c1} (x^3-3xy^2 ) + i (3yx^2 - y^3)[/itex] where c1 is th line from 0 to 1+i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a earlier part of the question asked if it was analytic. using Cauchy-Reimann equations i have shown it is. the next part asks me to calculate the contour integral.

so the problem is in the format u(x,y)+i v(x,y).

so is my integral = [itex]\int_{c1} u dx - \int_{c1} v dy + i[\int_{c1} u dy \int_{c1} + v dx[/itex]
if it is this, it seem straight forward enough, but I am not sure then how to use the limit 0 to 1+i
am i going down the right road at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
gtfitzpatrick said:
so is my integral = [itex]\int_{c1} u dx - \int_{c1} v dy + i[\int_{c1} u dy \int_{c1} + v dx[/itex]

You can parameterize c1 as (x,y)=(l*cos(pi/4), l*sin(pi/4)), so that dx=dl*cos(pi/4) and dy=dl*sin(pi/4), where l goes from 0 to sqrt(2). Alternatively, you can deform c1 to (0,0)->(0,1)->(1,1), so that dy=0 on the first arm and dx=0 on the second arm.

Hi sunjin09,
Thanks a mill. its the parameterization that is throwing me. i don't understand where you get that from. is there anywhere you know i could look about it?

There's an easier parametrization. Since the contour is a line, x and y must be linear functions of a variable t. We can choose the endpoints as t=0 and t=1. Solve for the coefficients in the linear functions using the endpoints.

gtfitzpatrick said:
Hi sunjin09,
Thanks a mill. its the parameterization that is throwing me. i don't understand where you get that from. is there anywhere you know i could look about it?

A contour integral is nothing but a line integral on the complex plane. A parameterization of a line is given by z(t)=x(t)+iy(t), where t is a parameter, z(0)=start point and z(T)=end point. ( Actually this is the DEFINITION of a curve, as a continuous mapping from a closed interval of R to a closed set on the complex plane.)

The parameterization of the contour c1, which is a straight line from 0 to 1+i, is given by z=x+iy=r*(cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4)), where r=|z| is the parameter. So dz=dx+idy=dr*(cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4)), therefore dx=dr*cos(pi/4) and dy=dr*sin(pi/4). Sorry I just changed my notation from l to r.

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral, also known as a line integral, is a type of integral in complex analysis that is used to evaluate functions along a given curve or contour in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral in calculus, but it is performed on a complex plane instead of a real line.

2. How do I calculate a contour integral?

To calculate a contour integral, you must first parameterize the given contour or curve. Then, you can use the Cauchy-Goursat theorem or the Cauchy integral formula to evaluate the integral. These theorems involve using the derivative of the function and the properties of complex numbers to simplify the calculation.

3. What is the significance of the contour in a contour integral?

The contour, or curve, in a contour integral is important because it determines the path along which the function is being integrated. Different contours can lead to different values for the integral, and some contours may not even be able to be integrated. The contour also helps in applying the Cauchy-Goursat theorem or the Cauchy integral formula to evaluate the integral.

4. Can the contour integral be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, contour integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are often used to calculate the work done by a force on a moving object or to find the electric potential in a circuit. They are also used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of science and engineering.

5. What is the relationship between contour integrals and complex functions?

The relationship between contour integrals and complex functions is that a contour integral can be used to evaluate the real and imaginary parts of a complex function. This is because a complex function can be expressed as a combination of real and imaginary parts, and these parts can be integrated separately using contour integrals. Additionally, the behavior of the complex function can be studied by analyzing the contour integral along different paths.