1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integrals

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the following contour integrals [itex]\int_{c1} (x^3-3xy^2 ) + i (3yx^2 - y^3)[/itex] where c1 is th line from 0 to 1+i

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a earlier part of the question asked if it was analytic. using Cauchy-Reimann equations i have shown it is. the next part asks me to calculate the contour integral.

so the problem is in the format u(x,y)+i v(x,y).

so is my integral = [itex]\int_{c1} u dx - \int_{c1} v dy + i[\int_{c1} u dy \int_{c1} + v dx[/itex]
    if it is this, it seem straight forward enough, but im not sure then how to use the limit 0 to 1+i
    am i going down the right road at all?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    You can parameterize c1 as (x,y)=(l*cos(pi/4), l*sin(pi/4)), so that dx=dl*cos(pi/4) and dy=dl*sin(pi/4), where l goes from 0 to sqrt(2). Alternatively, you can deform c1 to (0,0)->(0,1)->(1,1), so that dy=0 on the first arm and dx=0 on the second arm.

4. May 3, 2012 #3
    Hi sunjin09,
    Thanks a mill. its the parameterization that is throwing me. i dont understand where you get that from. is there anywhere you know i could look about it?

5. May 3, 2012 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's an easier parametrization. Since the contour is a line, x and y must be linear functions of a variable t. We can choose the endpoints as t=0 and t=1. Solve for the coefficients in the linear functions using the endpoints.

6. May 3, 2012 #5
    A contour integral is nothing but a line integral on the complex plane. A parameterization of a line is given by z(t)=x(t)+iy(t), where t is a parameter, z(0)=start point and z(T)=end point. ( Actually this is the DEFINITION of a curve, as a continuous mapping from a closed interval of R to a closed set on the complex plane.)

The parameterization of the contour c1, which is a straight line from 0 to 1+i, is given by z=x+iy=r*(cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4)), where r=|z| is the parameter. So dz=dx+idy=dr*(cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4)), therefore dx=dr*cos(pi/4) and dy=dr*sin(pi/4). Sorry I just changed my notation from l to r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook