1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integration on sin^2x/x

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    SOLVED. (Sorry I worked out the solution when I was typing it and I can't work out how to remove the post; for some reason I assumed sin(z)<1 for complex z which is very false.)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^2(x)}{x^2} \,dx=\pi.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a first attempt I tried to integrate
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^2(\beta x)}{x^2} e^{-\alpha} \,dx[/tex] by differentiating twice under the integral, then integrating twice with respect to [tex]\alpha[/tex]. I wasn't very careful with the branches of my logarithms and got an answer for the integral [tex]I = i \ln(-1)[/tex]; so if I was more careful I think I could prove it that way.

However I though this would be a good integral to evaluate by contour integration; integrating along the semi-circle lying on the upper half plane, centre the origin, radius R anti-clockwise (then take the limit as R goes to infinity).

Now [tex]\frac{\sin^2(z)}{z^2}[/tex] is holomorphic, so the integral around this contour must be zero. Thus we get
    [tex]\int_{-R}^{R} \frac{\sin^2(x)}{x^2} \dx=- \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{sin^2(R e^{i\theta})}{(Re^{i\theta})^2} (iRe^{i\theta} \,d \theta)[/tex]
    So it follows
    [tex]\left| \int_{-R}^{R} \frac{\sin^2(x)}{x^2} \dx \right | <= \frac{\pi}{R} [/tex].
    Thus the integral I is zero.
    What have I done wrong here? I am certain the function is holomorphic, and it makes sense the integral along the boundary should decay at infinity - why am I getting the wrong value for the integral?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted