1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour Integration

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the poles for the integrals:
    [tex]
    \int_{c}ds e^{st} \frac{1}{(s + \kappa + \frac{g^{2}}{s+\gamma+\gamma_{n}})}
    [/tex]

One pole is at [tex] -(\gamma+\gamma_{n}) [/tex].

Is there another one?

Also
    [tex]
    \int_{c}ds e^{st} \frac{1}{(s + \kappa + \frac{g^{2}}{s+\gamma+\gamma_{n}})} \frac{1}{s+\gamma+\gamma_{n}} [/tex]
    Similiarly, one pole is at [tex] -(\gamma+\gamma_{n}) [/tex].

Is there another one? I just need to be sure.

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Poles are the values of the integration variable s where the denominator vanishes, right? I don't think -(gamma+gamma_n) is a pole. In both cases, it looks to me like you are getting a relatively complicated quadratic in s.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
    Can you tell me what technique of integration I should use to evaluate this integral?

[tex]
    \noindent\(\frac{e^{s t}}{g^2+(s+\text{yn}+\gamma ) (s+\kappa )}\)
    [/tex]

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The ordinary residue theorem, I think. You can write that as e^(st)/((s-p1)(s-p2)) where p1 and p2 are the poles you get from solving the quadratic equation. It's straightforward in principle, but I don't know a simple way to write the nasty expressions you get from solving the quadratic. Where are you getting these problems??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook