Find Work Done in Contour Integration of Vector Field: F=ix^2 +j2xy

In summary, the particle moves in a counter clockwise direction around a rectangle and the work done after one complete circuit is given by the close loop line integral. The curl of the vector field must be zero for the result to be 0 and the field's domain of definition must be simply connected. The vector function must also be continuous and have continuous partial derivatives on the region enclosed by the loop.
ssrtac
http://www.gaussianmath.com/intvectors/greenuses/greenuses_clip_image007.jpg

A particle moves in a counter clockwise direction around a rectangle having the vertices (0, 0), (6, 0), (0, 4), and (6, 4) under the influence of the vector field:
F= ix^2 +j2xyOur objective is to find the work done by after one complete circuit. The work done is given by the close loop line integral.

And here's my question: the result of this operation is 96. well, which conditions provide closed line integrals result is 0? ..sorry for my bad english

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ssrtac said:
And here's my question: the result of this operation is 96. well, which conditions provide closed line integrals result is 0? ..sorry for my bad english

thanks in advance

The curl of the vector field must be zero.

Yes, any time the field is conservative. If the field has a potential function (like gravity, etc) then coming back to the starting point requires no net work on the field.

Redbelly98 said:
The curl of the vector field must be zero.

This is actually not the only requirement. For this to be the only requirement, the field's domain of definition must be simply connected. For instance, consider the vector field

[tex]\mathbf{F} = -\frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \mathbf{i} + \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} \mathbf{j}.[/tex]​

Its curl is indeed [tex]0[/tex], but if you find the work done when going around a circle centered at [tex](0, 0)[/tex], you will see that it is not [tex]0[/tex]. So, even though [tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = 0[/tex], it is not a conservative field. For vector fields where the domain of definition is multiply-connected, the condition [tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = 0[/tex] is necessary but not sufficient.

Of course, for the simple functions ssrtac is asking, this is enough.

Yes, I should have said the curl must exist, and equal zero, everywhere on and within the loop.

The vector function must be continuous and have continuous partial derivatives on the region enclosed by the loop.

Curl said:
The vector function must be continuous and have continuous partial derivatives on the region enclosed by the loop.
But this is true of the function given in Post #1, is it not? Yet it is nonconservative.

I mean that the function must be continuous etc in order to apply Green's Theorem

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a method used in mathematics to evaluate integrals over complex numbers. It involves integrating a function along a contour, which is a continuous curve in the complex plane.

2. How is contour integration used in vector fields?

Contour integration is used in vector fields to calculate the work done by the vector field along a particular path. This is useful in physics and engineering applications, where the work done by a force is important.

3. What is the formula for finding work done in contour integration of vector fields?

The formula for finding work done in contour integration of vector fields is W = ∫C F · dr, where W is the work done, C is the contour/path, F is the vector field, and dr is the differential of the path.

4. How do you solve for the work done in contour integration of vector fields?

To solve for the work done in contour integration of vector fields, you first need to parameterize the contour and the vector field. Then you can plug these values into the formula W = ∫C F · dr and integrate using standard integration techniques.

5. What is the significance of the vector field F=ix^2 +j2xy in contour integration?

The vector field F=ix^2 +j2xy is significant in contour integration because it is a complex-valued function that can be easily integrated along a contour. It also has real and imaginary components, which can be used to calculate the work done along different paths in the complex plane.