Can metal fluid contract under voltage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a metallic fluid that contracts when a voltage is applied to it, known as electrostriction, and the possibility of using it to create an artificial muscle. References to electrostrictive fluids and electroactive polymers are also mentioned as potential examples of this mechanism.
kolleamm
I was told there exists a metallic fluid that contracts when a voltage is applied to it. Does anything like this actually exist?

Engineering news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes kolleamm, 256bits and anorlunda
caz said:
I believe the mechanism you are talking about is known as electrostriction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostriction

I do not have a good knowledge of which materials exhibit it.
I was looking for examples of electrostrictive fluids, but could only find statements about dielectric fluids. Electrostrictive change shape in an electric field, which I expects is related to polarization. I've seen examples in the past in physics or materials science texts, but they are all in storage at the moment, so I can't readily access.

Likes Frabjous
Last edited:
Likes Frabjous
256bits said:
You mean like this - ( Watch out for Terminator )

http://cs.swan.ac.uk/~csjen/Documents/Programmable-Liquid-Matter.pdf

If not, it still is interesting.

That's really cool.

And of course they reference Landau

Pg1.pngPg2.pngPg3.pngPg4.png

Last edited:
Likes 256bits
Thanks for the replies. If something like this does exist, I'm wondering if it would be possible to make an artificial muscle with it.

1. Can metal fluid contract under voltage?

Yes, metal fluid can contract under voltage. When a voltage is applied to a metal fluid, the electric field causes the metal atoms to move closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume and contraction of the fluid.

2. What is the process of metal fluid contracting under voltage called?

The process of metal fluid contracting under voltage is called electrostriction. This is a phenomenon where the shape and size of a material changes in response to an applied electric field.

3. How does electrostriction work?

Electrostriction occurs due to the movement of charged particles within the metal fluid. When a voltage is applied, the electric field causes these particles to move closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume and contraction of the fluid.

4. What are the practical applications of metal fluid contracting under voltage?

One practical application of electrostriction is in sensors and actuators. Metal fluid can be used to create sensors that detect changes in voltage, and can also be used as actuators to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion.

5. Are there any limitations to metal fluid contracting under voltage?

Yes, there are some limitations to electrostriction. The amount of contraction that can be achieved is dependent on the strength of the electric field and the properties of the metal fluid. Additionally, repeated cycles of contraction and expansion can lead to fatigue and failure of the material.