Contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ: No 16 Multiplier

• Thread starter pleasehelpmeno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, the purpose of contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ is to simplify and manipulate the mathematical expression for easier analysis. The number 16 is used as a multiplier because there are 16 unique ways to contract the indices. Using a multiplier can simplify the expression and reduce the number of terms. However, there may be limitations to contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ depending on the specific problem. This concept is related to tensor calculus as it allows for the simplification of complex expressions and is essential for mastering tensor calculus.
pleasehelpmeno
Can anyone explain how to contract [itex] R_{\alpha \beta} [/itex] to [itex] R^{\rho}_{\alpha\beta\sigma} [/itex] without multiplying it by 16 i.e [itex] g^{\rho\xi}g_{\xi\sigma}[/itex] It is in a sum with other tensor products and so I obviusly can't just multiply one term by anything ither than 1.

Should [itex] \eta [/itex]'s be used although are these valid in cosmological space-times i.e [itex] dt^2 -a^2 dx^2 [/itex]

I apologise if any indices aren't in the correct order, I am self taught

Physics news on Phys.org
pleasehelpmeno said:
Can anyone explain how to contract [itex] R_{\alpha \beta} [/itex] to [itex] R^{\rho}_{\alpha\beta\sigma} [/itex] without multiplying it by 16 i.e [itex] g^{\rho\xi}g_{\xi\sigma}[/itex] It is in a sum with other tensor products and so I obviusly can't just multiply one term by anything ither than 1.

[itex] g^{\rho\xi}g_{\xi\sigma} = \delta^\rho_\sigma[/itex] not 16. Consequently,

[tex] g^{\sigma\xi}g_{\xi\rho} R^{\rho}{}_{\alpha\beta\sigma} = \delta^\sigma_\rho R^{\rho}{}_{\alpha\beta\sigma} = R^{\sigma}{}_{\alpha\beta\sigma}[/tex]
pleasehelpmeno said:
Should [itex] \eta [/itex]'s be used

No.

1. What is the purpose of contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ?

The purpose of contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ is to simplify and manipulate the mathematical expression in order to make it easier to solve or analyze. In this specific case, the contraction allows for the use of a multiplier to simplify the expression further.

2. Why is the number 16 used as the multiplier in this case?

The number 16 is used as the multiplier in this case because it is the number of unique ways that the indices can be contracted. This is based on the number of possible combinations of the four indices, with each index having four possible values.

3. What are the benefits of using a multiplier in the contraction process?

Using a multiplier in the contraction process can help to simplify the expression and make it easier to analyze. It can also help to reduce the number of terms in the final expression, making it more manageable to work with.

4. Are there any limitations to contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ?

There may be limitations to contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ depending on the specific expression or problem being solved. In some cases, the contraction may not be possible or may not provide any simplification. It is important to carefully consider the expression and the role of the contraction before using a multiplier.

5. How is contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ related to tensor calculus?

Contracting R_{αβ} to R^ρ_αβσ is an important concept in tensor calculus, as it involves manipulating tensors with multiple indices. It allows for the simplification of complex expressions and makes it easier to solve problems involving tensors. Understanding how to contract tensors is essential for mastering tensor calculus and its applications in various fields of science and mathematics.