1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contraction mapping theorem

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Here is the question from our book:
    -------
    Let [itex](X,d)[/itex] be a complete metric space, and let [itex]f:X\to X[/itex] and [itex]g:X\to X[/itex] be two strict contractions on [itex]X[/itex] with contraction coefficients [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]c'[/itex] respectively. From the Contraction Mapping Theorem we know that [itex]f[/itex] has some fixed point [itex]x_0[/itex], and [itex]g[/itex] has some fixed point [itex]y_0[/itex]. Suppose we know that there is an [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that [itex]d(f(x),g(x)) \leq \epsilon[/itex] for all [itex]x \in X[/itex]. Show that [itex]d(x_0,y_0) \leq \epsilon/(1-\max(c,c'))[/itex]. Thus nearby contractions have nearby fixed points.
    --------

Below is my proof. I believe everything I have is correct. My question is why do we not conclude that [itex]d(x_0,y_0) < \epsilon/(1-\min(c,c'))[/itex] as I believe this is a stronger result that follows (with very slight modification) from my proof below.

-------
    Proof.

Let [itex]m = \max(c,c')[/itex].

So we have [itex]d(f(x),f(y)) < md(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]d(g(x),g(y)) < md(x,y)[/itex] for all [itex]x,y \in X[/itex].

Since [itex]x_0[/itex] is a fixed point of [itex]f[/itex], and [itex]y_0[/itex] is a fixed point of [itex]g[/itex], we know that [itex]f(x_0) = x_0[/itex], and [itex]g(y_0) = y_0[/itex]. Hence we get the following

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    d(x_0,y_0) & = d(f(x_0),g(y_0)) \\
    & \leq d(f(x_0),f(y_0)) + d(f(y_0),g(y_0)) \\
    & \leq md(x_0,y_0) + \epsilon
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

So [itex]d(x_0,y_0) \leq md(x_0,y_0) + \epsilon[/itex].

Hence, [itex]d(x_0,y_0)(1 - m) \leq \epsilon[/itex].

Therefore [tex]d(x_0,y_0) \leq \dfrac{\epsilon}{1 - \max(c,c')}[/tex].

------------

I can't see anything wrong, but there is probably some subtlety that I am missing. Any ideas? Thanks!

Definitions if needed.

Strict contraction: Let [itex]f:X\to X[/itex] be a map, then [itex]f[/itex] is a strict contraction if [itex]d(f(x),f(y) < d(x,y)[/itex].

Fixed point: x is a fixed point of a function f if f(x) = x.

Contraction mapping theorem. Let [itex](X,d)[/itex] be a metric space, and let [itex]f:X\to X[/itex] be a strict contraction. Then f can have at most one fixed point. Moreover, if we assume X is complete and non-empty then f has exactly one fixed point.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see a problem.

4. Apr 21, 2007 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The proof looks fine, and yes, with a slight modification of your proof you can derive the stronger result that replaces 'max' with 'min'.

5. Apr 21, 2007 #4
    Thanks! (10 char)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?