Tensor Contraction with Metric for Stress Energy: Explained

• B
  • Thread starter dsaun777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary: If you pick an orthonormal basis that treats that observer as at rest then ##u^t=1## and all other components are zero. Then the contraction above is numerically equal to ##T_{tt}##. But that's a bit like saying (in Newtonian physics) that if my velocity is 1 m/s then my momentum is equal to my mass. Numerically it's fine, but it's very sloppy - and isn't even numerically fine if I switch to a unit system where 1 m/s isn't 1 unit.Do you know of any sources that describe the traces and invariants of the stress energy?Higher powers of tensors may be useful for calculating "
dsaun777
Can you contract any part of the stress energy tensor with the metric? Say if you had four components Tu1 and contracted that with g^u1 would that produce an invariant?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. That is not a valid tensor operation.

Dale said:
No. That is not a valid tensor operation.
It has to be the full tensor in order to contract?

You mean, what is ##g_{a1}T^{a1}##, where summation over ##a## is implied? It's the 1,1 component of ##g_{ab}T^{ac}=T_b{}^c##, and components of tensors are not invariants.

Likes dsaun777
Ibix said:
You mean, what is ##g_{a1}T^{a1}##, where summation over ##a## is implied? It's the 1,1 component of ##g_{ab}T^{ac}##, and components of tensors are not invariants.
Thank you that's what was thinking.

Ibix said:
You mean, what is ##g_{a1}T^{a1}##, where summation over ##a## is implied? It's the 1,1 component of ##g_{ab}T^{ac}=T_b{}^c##, and components of tensors are not invariants.
Which by itself would be just the 1,1 component corresponding to pressure?

dsaun777 said:
Which by itself would be just the 1,1 component corresponding to pressure?
Not strictly. The contraction of your stress-energy tensor twice with the same basis vector is the pressure across a surface perpendicular to that basis vector.

If you are using an orthonormal basis then that contraction is algebraically equal to the 1,1 component of the tensor. But that's not a coordinate-independent statement and it's sloppy to say that "such and such a component is such and such an observable". It's acceptable-but-sloppy if you specify an orthonormal basis, and technically wrong if you don't.

Ibix said:
Not strictly. The contraction of your stress-energy tensor twice with the same basis vector is the pressure across a surface perpendicular to that basis vector.

If you are using an orthonormal basis then that contraction is algebraically equal to the 1,1 component of the tensor. But that's not a coordinate-independent statement and it's sloppy to say that "such and such a component is such and such an observable". It's acceptable-but-sloppy if you specify an orthonormal basis, and technically wrong if you don't.
A coordinate independent statement would have to be the full contracted tensor ie. The trace?

No - or rather, the trace isn't the only coordinate-free thing you can construct. Any contraction that has no free indices will do. ##u^au^bT_{ab}## is the energy density measured by an observer with 4-velocity ##u##, for example.

If you pick an orthonormal basis that treats that observer as at rest then ##u^t=1## and all other components are zero. Then the contraction above is numerically equal to ##T_{tt}##. But that's a bit like saying (in Newtonian physics) that if my velocity is 1 m/s then my momentum is equal to my mass. Numerically it's fine, but it's very sloppy - and isn't even numerically fine if I switch to a unit system where 1 m/s isn't 1 unit.

Do you know of any sources that describe the traces and invariants of the stress energy

Note that ##G^{ab}=8\pi T^{ab}##, so discussion of the Einstein tensor applies to the stress-energy tensor too.

MTW covers the contractions of the stress-energy tensor with various combinations of basis vectors/one-forms. I don't know about other contractions. ##T^a{}_a## and ##g_{ab}T^{ab}## are the only ones I can think of immediately. The trace is, of course, simply related to the Ricci scalar, but I don't know what you might use the other for.

Likes dsaun777
Ibix said:
I don't know about other contractions. ##T^a{}_a## and ##g_{ab}T^{ab}## are the only ones I can think of immediately.

Those are the same thing, they're both the trace. The other obvious one is ##T^{ab} T_{ab}##.

PeterDonis said:
Those are the same thing, they're both the trace. The other obvious one is ##T^{ab} T_{ab}##.
D'oh! Of course they are - I'm just lowering an index (##g_{ab}T^{ac}=T_b{}^c##) then contracting the free indices on that. Do you know if your other one is useful for anything? Edit: it kind of looks like a "modulus-squared" of the tensor, if that makes sense.

Ibix said:
Do you know if your other one is useful for anything?

I have not seen it used for anything in the case of the stress-energy tensor, but in the case of the EM field tensor ##F_{ab}##, the corresponding invariant ##F^{ab} F_{ab}## is used often.

Likes SiennaTheGr8 and Ibix
dsaun777 said:
Can you contract any part of the stress energy tensor with the metric? Say if you had four components Tu1 and contracted that with g^u1 would that produce an invariant?
Why don't you transform the components and check explicitly? :)

haushofer said:
Why don't you transform the components and check explicitly? :)
It gets tricky when you change the type of matter you want

dsaun777 said:
It gets tricky when you change the type of matter you want

The type of matter doesn't matter. You can easily demonstrate using the general tensor transformation laws that, for example, ##g_{a1} T^{a1}## is not an invariant, regardless of the specific forms of ##g## or ##T##.

If you are unable to do this, then I would strongly suggest that you spend some time learning tensor algebra and developing some facility with standard tensor operations. Sean Carroll's online lecture notes on GR have a good introductory treatment of this in the early chapters.

Likes Dale
PeterDonis said:
The type of matter doesn't matter. You can easily demonstrate using the general tensor transformation laws that, for example, ##g_{a1} T^{a1}## is not an invariant, regardless of the specific forms of ##g## or ##T##.

If you are unable to do this, then I would strongly suggest that you spend some time learning tensor algebra and developing some facility with standard tensor operations. Sean Carroll's online lecture notes on GR have a good introductory treatment of this in the early chapters.
Too tricky

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and Dale
dsaun777 said:
Too tricky

You labeled this thread as "I" level. What I suggested to you is well within "I" level. If you really find that too tricky, then you should (a) label your threads as "B" level (and I will be happy to re-label this one as "B" level if you wish); (b) be prepared to be told that your questions cannot be answered, at least not with anything more than a brief "yes" or "no", at your level of understanding; and (c) be prepared to have a lot of your threads closed very quickly because there is no point in discussion if you can't make use of it.

PeterDonis said:
I will be happy to re-label this one as "B" level

And in fact I have just done so.

PeterDonis said:
be prepared to have a lot of your threads closed very quickly because there is no point in discussion if you can't make use of it

And I have just done that to this thread as well.

Likes dsaun777

1. What is tensor contraction with metric for stress energy?

Tensor contraction with metric for stress energy is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two tensors and then summing over the repeated indices. The metric tensor is used to raise or lower indices in order to maintain the correct dimensions of the tensors. This operation is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate stress and energy in a given system.

2. Why is tensor contraction with metric important in physics?

Tensor contraction with metric is important in physics because it allows us to calculate stress and energy in a given system. These quantities are crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems and can help us make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

3. How is tensor contraction with metric related to Einstein's field equations?

Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy, involve tensor contraction with metric. The stress-energy tensor, which represents the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime, is contracted with the metric tensor to calculate the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can you provide an example of tensor contraction with metric for stress energy?

One example of tensor contraction with metric for stress energy is calculating the stress-energy tensor for a fluid, such as water, in a gravitational field. The stress-energy tensor would involve the density and pressure of the fluid, as well as the gravitational potential, and would be contracted with the metric tensor to calculate the curvature of spacetime caused by the fluid's presence.

5. Are there any limitations to using tensor contraction with metric for stress energy?

Tensor contraction with metric for stress energy is based on the assumptions of general relativity and may not accurately describe systems that involve extreme conditions, such as those found in black holes or during the early universe. Additionally, the calculations involved in tensor contraction can be complex and time-consuming, making it difficult to apply in certain situations.