Contrail Cirrus RF: Matt's Journey to Understand the Science

• Thread starter POSContrailRF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rf
In summary: If I was to say ask you what you what you thought the driving force(s) explaining different "levels of darkness" or "opaqueness" observed in Contrail Shadows; using your knowledge and answering, is that considered a theory?... would 'answering' me be more like making a statement saying "...information from this peer reviewed paper says this" and linking the source considered an answer?Thanks for asking, that's a great question! In theory, answering that question would require more information than is currently available in the paper you linked. I'm afraid that would be more in the realm of speculation than answering the question. Thanks!Welcome to the PF, Matt!I'm getting my
POSContrailRF
'HI, I'm Matt :)

I'm unsure if I'm in the right place to be asking contrail-cirrus related questions and about the science behind it as I've had no science-based education since high-school [I'm 35].

I have had a keen interest and passion wanting to learn and understand all of the sciences behind and related to contrails.

I 'tackled' my first scientific peer-reviewed paper some years ago titled "Environmental conditions required for contrail formation and persistence"; as you could imagine, by the 16th word into the abstract I was googling 'in situ'.

It's been 5-6 years of making my way through related papers introducing new concepts and linking different disciplines together; reading the papers and seeing the science evolve and deepen in understanding is fascinating. I have collected many papers and still feel I'm only at the tip of the iceberg, I have a few queries and theories I feel that if I had answered, explained to me, or a point in the right direction may help me tie up a few confusing, loose ends.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Matt!

Likes POSContrailRF
POSContrailRF said:
'HI, I'm Matt :)

I'm unsure if I'm in the right place to be asking contrail-cirrus related questions and about the science behind it as I've had no science-based education since high-school [I'm 35].

I have had a keen interest and passion wanting to learn and understand all of the sciences behind and related to contrails.

I 'tackled' my first scientific peer-reviewed paper some years ago titled "Environmental conditions required for contrail formation and persistence"; as you could imagine, by the 16th word into the abstract I was googling 'in situ'.

It's been 5-6 years of making my way through related papers introducing new concepts and linking different disciplines together; reading the papers and seeing the science evolve and deepen in understanding is fascinating. I have collected many papers and still feel I'm only at the tip of the iceberg, I have a few queries and theories I feel that if I had answered, explained to me, or a point in the right direction may help me tie up a few confusing, loose ends.

Thanks,

Matt
Welcome to the PF, Matt. :smile:

I've moved your thread from the New Member Introductions forum to the Earth forum for now. Also, please keep in mind that we don't generally allow discussions of personal theories here, so please keep that in mind as you frame your questions. Thanks!

Likes POSContrailRF
BTW, the papers you linked to appear to have pretty good information in them. If you can ask specific questions about the parts that are hard for you figure out, that will help us to address your overall questions.

Here is a nice photo of a contrail over high clouds that I took on a recent noontime run. It took me a few moments to figure out that it was a contrail causing the shadow on the clouds... :smile:

Contrail over high clouds.jpg

Attachments

• Contrail over high clouds.jpg
    Contrail over high clouds.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,163
Last edited:
Likes POSContrailRF and DrClaude
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF Matt!
Thank you :) I look forward to formulating some questions! cheers

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Matt. :smile:

I've moved your thread from the New Member Introductions forum to the Earth forum for now. Also, please keep in mind that we don't generally allow discussions of personal theories here, so please keep that in mind as you frame your questions. Thanks!
Hey berkeman, thanks for the advice ;)

berkeman said:
BTW, the papers you linked to appear to have pretty good information in them. If you can ask specific questions about the parts that are hard for you figure out, that will help us to address your overall questions.

Here is a nice photo of a contrail over high clouds that I took on a recent noontime run. It took me a few moments to figure out that it was a contrail causing the shadow on the clouds... :smile:

View attachment 219117
Contrail shadows have always been an area of fascination for me, absolutely mind-blowing; here's someone hang-gliding through a contrail shadow ;)
So interested in optical phenomena!, I've been collecting contrail shadow pictures ever since I witnessed my first!

So if I was to say ask you what you what you thought the driving force(s) explaining different "levels of darkness" or "opaqueness" observed in Contrail Shadows; using your knowledge and answering, is that considered a theory?... would 'answering' me be more like making a statement saying "...information from this peer reviewed paper says this" and linking the source considered an answer? thanks

POSContrailRF said:
Contrail shadows have always been an area of fascination for me, absolutely mind-blowing; here's someone hang-gliding through a contrail shadow ;)
Yeah, that was the first time I ever noticed one. Pretty cool. BTW, in that YouTube video, you can hear the engine and propeller, I think, and the wing doesn't look like a hang glider. Maybe an ultralight aircraft instead? Doesn't change the fun factor though... :smile:
POSContrailRF said:
So if I was to say ask you what you what you thought the driving force(s) explaining different "levels of darkness" or "opaqueness" observed in Contrail Shadows; using your knowledge and answering, is that considered a theory?... would 'answering' me be more like making a statement saying "...information from this peer reviewed paper says this" and linking the source considered an answer? thanks
Seems like an okay question, and probably has been addressed already in the literature. The properties of water vapor and ice crystals are pretty straightforward, after all.

berkeman said:
Yeah, that was the first time I ever noticed one. Pretty cool. BTW, in that YouTube video, you can hear the engine and propeller, I think, and the wing doesn't look like a hang glider. Maybe an ultralight aircraft instead? Doesn't change the fun factor though... :smile:

Seems like an okay question, and probably has been addressed already in the literature. The properties of water vapor and ice crystals are pretty straightforward, after all.
Ice Nuclei such as Black Carbon Soot can alter the growth of Ice Crystals, especially that of contrail cirrus ice crystals causing its surface to near complete 'splitting' of LWR off the SWR; its surface 'sheer' directing the LWR directly towards earth.

1. What is "Contrail Cirrus RF: Matt's Journey to Understand the Science"?

"Contrail Cirrus RF: Matt's Journey to Understand the Science" is a scientific research project led by Matt, a scientist who is studying the formation and impact of contrail cirrus clouds on the Earth's atmosphere.

2. How are contrail cirrus clouds formed?

Contrail cirrus clouds are formed when water vapor from airplane exhaust freezes in the cold upper atmosphere. These clouds are created by the condensation of water vapor from airplane exhaust, which can linger in the atmosphere for hours and spread into larger cirrus clouds.

3. What impact do contrail cirrus clouds have on the environment?

Contrail cirrus clouds have a significant impact on the Earth's atmosphere, as they contribute to the trapping of heat and can lead to changes in weather patterns. They also have a warming effect on the Earth's surface, contributing to the overall warming of the planet.

4. What is the goal of the "Contrail Cirrus RF" project?

The goal of the "Contrail Cirrus RF" project is to better understand the formation and impact of contrail cirrus clouds on the Earth's atmosphere. This research will help scientists and policymakers make informed decisions about air travel and its potential impact on the environment.

5. How can I get involved in the "Contrail Cirrus RF" project?

If you are interested in getting involved in the "Contrail Cirrus RF" project, you can reach out to the research team and inquire about potential volunteer opportunities or collaborations. You can also help by spreading awareness about the project and its findings to others.