Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contrail movement.

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    I was sat in my car recently watching many aircraft in the sky making patterns with their emmissions. One that stood out was a fairly acutely curved one. At first it appeared to start in alignment with the partion that divided the front and back window of my car. After about 15 minutes it had travelled way past the partion and was then at the back of the car. Its form remained as original, ie the wind movement had not displaced its shape. Can someone please explain how this occurred.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Re: contrail/chemtrail movement.

Just to let you know there is a big difference between the term contrail and chemtrail. The former is the correct term for the streaks of condensed water vapour left by a plane at high altitude. The latter is a conspiracy theory term that suggests that contrails are some sort of world wide conspiracy to dump chemicals on the populous.

Contrails dissipate over time but can stay pretty much intact over periods of hours
    http://www.areco.org/minnis.pdf

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Winds at high altitude are faster and more uniform, that those you observe near the surface which are made turbulent by obstacles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook