1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contrapositive proof

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1st part , using induction to prvoe that if both x and y are positive then x<y implies x^n<y^n
    2nd part, prove the converse, that if both x and y are postive then x^n<y^n implies x<y

2. Relevant equations
    my question is more on the second part. I understand that I have to use the indirect proof using contrapositive.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started with this
    If x and y are not positive then it does not imply the following x^n<y^n implies x<y

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, what you have written here is irrelevant. The theorem (and therefore its contrapositive) talks only about positive numbers. "x and y both positive" is not part of the hypothesis, it is a "preliminary requirement" What is true if x and y are not positive does not matter. The theorem itself is simply "x^n< y^n implies x< y".

Are you clear on what the contrapositive is here? The contrapositive requires that the hypothesis and conclusion be negated and reversed. "x and y both positive" is not part of the hypothesis, it is a "preliminary requirement" that stays the same.

If x and y are positive numbers, then [itex]x^n\ge y^n[/itex] implies [itex]x\ge y[/itex].

Also, while you can prove it using induction, you don't have to. [itex]x^n
    \ge y^n[/itex] implies that [itex]x^n- y^n\ge 0[/itex] and [itex]x^n- y^n= (x- y)(x^{n-1}+ x^{n-2}y+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ xy^{n-2}+ y^{n-2}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    i do understand contrapositive
    but i'm new to it
    does it mean that i'm suppose to prove if x^n < y^n is false therefore it implies that x < y is false ?
    am i heading the correct direction ?

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4
    i do not understand how did you arrive at this conclusion

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are. Don't forget that you are assuming also that x and y are positive and that "x^n< y^n is false" is the same as "[itex]x^n\ge y^n[/itex]".

What conclusion do you mean? If you are talking about the factoring (which is not a "conclusion"), what do you get if you multiply (x- y) and (xn-1+ yxn-2+ ...+ xyn-2+ yn-1? And what would it say if n= 2?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6
    What conclusion do you mean? If you are talking about the factoring (which is not a "conclusion"), what do you get if you multiply (x- y) and (xn-1+ yxn-2+ ...+ xyn-2+ yn-1? And what would it say if n= 2?[/QUOTE]

sorry i meant like who did you factor that up ?
    is there a formula to help me with ?

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you kow that x2- y2= (x- y)(x+ y)? How about x3- y3= (x- y)(x2+ xy+ y2)?

Yes, there is a formula: it is exactly what I gave: xn- yn= (x- y)(xn-1+ xn-2y+ ...+ xyn-2+ yn-1. And, again, you can prove that by multiply the right hand side.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #8
    Thanks . Got it =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?