Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contravariant and Covariant Components GR versu SR

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    I am trying to reconcile the definition of contravariant and covariant
    components of a vector between Special Relativity and General Relativity.

In GR I understand the difference is defined by the way that the vector
    components transform under a change in coordinate systems.

In SR it seems that it is more of a notational thing that allows for the
    derivation of the invariant interval.

How are the 2 things related?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a source for the different treatment in SR? It can be made to look like it's just a notational thing in SR by using Minkowski coordinates where ##g_{\mu\rho}=g^{\mu\rho}## so many of the differences between contravariant and covariant components disappear - but that's just taking advantage of the fact that flat spacetime is an especially nice special case (which is why we call it "special" relativity).

It's a good exercise to choose some perverse coordinate transform in which the metric acquires off-diagonal and non-constant components even in flat space-time, work a few otherwise-easy problems in those coordinates, just so that you can see the machinery working. You'll find that the contra/co distinction appears even in SR.

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    OK, soon after I posted I realized that the connection is through the metric tensor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook